5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: downshifting

Whatever you're comfortable with. The only reason I HATE being in neutral or not down shifting is that if you have to accelerate you either have to figure out which gear is the correct gear or accelerate really slow because you're in too high of a gear. That to me is dangerous.

here's a good example. You have two lanes doing 60-70. Your lane starts to slow down to 30mph so you want to get over to the other lane still moving at 60-70. If you don't down shift, you may end up having someone up your **** because you didn't accelerate fast enough. It could be argued depending on how much room you had to merge into, that you cut the person off or impeded the flow of traffic.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:59 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

You drive 5spd long enough you know what gear you need to be in like second nature. I usually dont have a problem with accelerating fast enough compared to most other car on the road. It dont take but 1/2 second to put it in gear.

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Whatever you're comfortable with. The only reason I HATE being in neutral or not down shifting is that if you have to accelerate you either have to figure out which gear is the correct gear or accelerate really slow because you're in too high of a gear. That to me is dangerous.

here's a good example. You have two lanes doing 60-70. Your lane starts to slow down to 30mph so you want to get over to the other lane still moving at 60-70. If you don't down shift, you may end up having someone up your **** because you didn't accelerate fast enough. It could be argued depending on how much room you had to merge into, that you cut the person off or impeded the flow of traffic.
mopman93
3rd Gear Member

the onyl time down shifting is bad is if u do it improperly. early cars talkin liek 60's and earlier and older trucks, had straigth cut gears. no synchros at all. sum had synchros in each gear except 1st, so u couold shift "normally" into each gear u just had to double clutch to get back into first. in a car with synchros it doesnt matter becasue the synchros all ow the gears to mesh, witht he straight cuts u would have to put the clutch in, put it in neutral, let the clutch out to match the revs, and then clutch again to put it in the next gfear, hence the term double clutching. so unless u have straigth cut gears and u dont kno how to double clutch, downshifting isnt bad. but yeah the blipping the throttle to match the revs when u down shift is a good idea to, less stress on the synchors
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

yea thats why i down shift too... i like to keep it at htat 2grand range as much as possible... its just easier to controll the car if u will... go when u wanna go and slow down when its nessecery.... downshifting is really only hard on your clutch if u do it rite... and its not very hard on it at that... not much more htan normal...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:02 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Putting a manual in neutral and coasting/braking to a stop is the incorrect way to drive a manual.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:05 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

Putting a manual in neutral and coasting/braking to a stop is the incorrect way to drive a manual.

since when?

Old 03-16-2007, 07:21 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

I rather spend the money on $100 brake pads then rebuild my trans
Old 03-16-2007, 07:25 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: PX429

+1 but $100 brakes.... my pads have a lifetime warranty... I just bring them back and get new ones.... FREE
Old 03-16-2007, 07:30 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

+1 on brakes...I have lifetime warranty brakes too. I coast mine ALOT in neutral. My brakes get used for stopping since that are what they are for.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:30 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: PX429

+1 but $100 brakes.... my pads have a lifetime warranty... I just bring them back and get new ones.... FREE
If only I could find a lifetime warranty on Hawks for my Brembo's [&o]

Quick Reply: downshifting