5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need Help ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:59 PM
nickr182002
2nd Gear Member

Default Need Help ASAP!!!

Ok i am having a fuel issue. I bought a new pump and relay and the pump went bad 3 days after i bought it. I just pulled the tank for the 3rd time and tested the pump and it works perfectly. I used a test light to check for power and i have power to the pump but as i get to the connector that connects the relay wireing to the tank harness, the light on the test light gets very dim. So i am thinking that there is not enough power getting to the pump. Any ideas what is going on and how i can fix this? Why would there not be enough power when it gets to the tank harness?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:21 PM
sultan68
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help ASAP!!!

im not an electrical genius but i would guess bad ground maybe?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 PM
nickr182002
2nd Gear Member

Thats what i thought. Any ideas on where or which grounds to check?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:21 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

hook the clamp on the test light up to a power source and stick the tip onto the ground wire, it will light up if its grounded well enough.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:32 PM
nickr182002
2nd Gear Member

ok ill do that. thanks for the info. Ill keep everyone up to date.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 PM
nickr182002
2nd Gear Member

any other ideas???
Old 03-17-2007, 12:45 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Her you go, if it posts correctly, adder posted this last night to help a guy out with simular problems.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

find the relay signal wire at the ECM, cut the wire.

connect (solder preferably) and tape (shrink tubing preferably) a new wire lead to it.
run the new wire to a suitable location... stock location is fine.
run a fused 12v source wire to that same location.
Install a BOSCH 5 pin relay with +12v as circuit close trigger. I like these!
make a ground to chasis.
run a signal wire back into your trunk to the old +12v feed wire.
Cut the old wire, connect (solder preferably) and tape (shrink tubing preferably) the new feed wire to the pump.

Now you will have 4 wires at the relay, and hopefully a relay harmess... If not, use female spade connectors (insulated preferably), and connect the wires to your relay.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:52 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Dude, you have already found your problem and if you typed your findings correctly - it sure aint in the ground circuit. Only thing is, if you have voltage drop at the relay - you should have the same drop at the pump. If you are checking the power at the relay and get a dim light but the power at the pump has a bright light - you are testing the wrong damn wire. Bottom line. There is no way you can have good power at the pump but bad power further upstream in the circuit.
If you think you have a bad ground, just jump the black wire at the pump to battery negative. The pump will only run for 2 seconds after key on or when cranking. It would be foolish to rewire the whole damn pump over something this simple.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Dude, you have already found your problem and if you typed your findings correctly - it sure aint in the ground circuit. Only thing is, if you have voltage drop at the relay - you should have the same drop at the pump. If you are checking the power at the relay and get a dim light but the power at the pump has a bright light - you are testing the wrong damn wire. Bottom line. There is no way you can have good power at the pump but bad power further upstream in the circuit.
If you think you have a bad ground, just jump the black wire at the pump to battery negative. The pump will only run for 2 seconds after key on or when cranking. It would be foolish to rewire the whole damn pump over something this simple.
only takes about 20-30 minutes... and you dont have to deal with old wire
Old 03-17-2007, 02:57 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I didn't mean to imply it was difficult or would take a ton of time. I could have rewired the headlights in my Toyota when one didn't work. It would have taken me20-30 minutes. Instead, I used my nugget and figured out what the problem was. Had it fixed the RIGHT way in 5. The guy obviously has a wiring issue. Odds are, its only one wire. It makes no sense to rewire 90% of the good stuff to take care of 10% of the bad stuff IMO. And if he can't get a grip on a circuit this simple - there aint no way he is going to be able to rewire the whole thing properly in 20 mintues. If so, it is likely going to be more problematic than the current setup.

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP!!!