5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

map light fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

Default map light fix?

tried searching nothing found so does anybody know how to fix the maplight when i pull mine down it doesnt work.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:35 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: map light fix?

Few quick questions for ya. If you open your car door do you hear beeping as if your car door is open, or is it silent. I personally believe its one of two things. Im betting the bulb burned out. If you unscrew it theres a small bulb there that you can replace at walmart/autozone etc. Or its a fuse. More then likely since im assuming your windows, power mirrors, and radio work that its the lightbulb. Either way the fix for both is just a few dollars.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:39 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ecstasy

tried searching nothing found so does anybody know how to fix the maplight when i pull mine down it doesnt work.
Fix itno seriously un-bolt it from the top, and inspect it, mines had insulation all over from mice-i suppose, and some ad gottan in between the switch, So i popped of the black cover for the switch that holds the spring in, and there was insulation in there causing the contacts not to touch,
Cleaned it out, put the piece back on there and melted the pins that it slides onto and was good to go
Let my know if this confused you.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

itd be easier to see some pics of what im suposoto look for i took it out, didnt see anything wrong? hooked it back up still dont work, all my fuses are good, and i replaced the bulb yesterday to see if itd work, and it didnt. what contacts are u talking about tho?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

you confused him, just unscrew it, and replace the bulb, your not like lx you have a mice free car. LOL <3
Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

dude, he didnt confuse me, your not listening to what im saying.

the bulb is changed, brand new bulb, not burned out.
i even unscrewed it from the roof, i dont know what contact points hes talking about.
fuse isnt blown.

so a picture of what contact point or w/e would be helpful. i installed my msd box, my tach, i ran the wires to the fuse box, i installed everything on my car.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:53 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

you confused him, just unscrew it, and replace the bulb, your not like lx you have a mice free car. LOL <3
Ha ha, funny, i dont know what it was that did it- just assume mice, hell for all i know the insulation could have juust feel in there
When its unsrewed from the car, there a black cover, under that is the contacts, i think its the only black peice on the top side, i know pics would help, but i dont eally wanna have to unscrew mine to get some, if i have to i will, also have you tested the 2 screws that hold it up-since they deliver the power?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90Lxstanger

Ha ha, funny, i dont know what it was that did it- just assume mice, hell for all i know the insulation could have juust feel in there
When its unsrewed from the car, there a black cover, under that is the contacts, i think its the only black peice on the top side, i know pics would help, but i dont eally wanna have to unscrew mine to get some, if i have to i will, also have you tested the 2 screws that hold it up-since they deliver the power?
no because i cant find my meter, i def will check that tho. so u answered my next question i guess ill have to pop that black thing off to make sure nothings loose in there tho the switch seems like it should, dont pay no mind to 92cobra, because there were no cobras in 92. which makes me disregard anything he says. esp since he doesnt read.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:02 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

guy relax, i have a 91gt, cobras didnt start until 93 and i was just messin with lx, relax buddy.

and i read what you posted, after i posted mine. if you look at the times, i was typing and sending as you were.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:04 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ecstasy

ORIGINAL: 90Lxstanger

no because i cant find my meter, i def will check that tho. so u answered my next question i guess ill have to pop that black thing off to make sure nothings loose in there tho the switch seems like it should, dont pay no mind to 92cobra, because there were no cobras in 92. which makes me disregard anything he says. esp since he doesnt read.
Haha on the 92 deal..........
Well another idea, with the light screwed to the roof wiggle that little black pin the sticks down, thats part of the "switch"- which consists of a spring/and round metal contact, When the light is up it pushed the "pin" up and disconects the contacts, when it down they touch-which im sure you know- for mine to work i have to wiggle it around sometimes still.
But like you said step 1 would be to make sure your gettin power to the light-and that you would need a multimeter/neon tester

Quick Reply: map light fix?