5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Whats the cheapest shortblock i could use and where to get it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:57 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whats the cheapest shortblock i could use and where to get it?

IMHO, A stock block using studs will be stronger than a stock block using the girdle things I've seen for sale........
Old 03-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

Girdled 2 bolt > 4 bolt? No, it's not. Not even close. There's a LOT more to a 4 bolt block than just some extra holes for more bolts. A girdle is a marketing gimmick. They don't do anything except, as someone mentioned, keep your parts in a nice tidy pile when your block breaks in half.

When a block cracks, it splits right down the middle from the top down. Like this:

Putting reinforcement at the bottom doesn't do anything to prevent this from happening. A 4-bolt block is MUCH heavier than a 2-bolt block. All this extra material provides significantly more strength throughout the entire block.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Considering this thread is A YEAR OLD!!!!!!!![&:]
Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

Might be, but I'd hate to see someone think they could get away with girdling their stock block and put 20 lbs of boost on it because they read it here.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

he brought it back with correct info though. snice my77 was way wrong
Old 03-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

I'll give him that.

Its weird how 99% of the time an old thread is dug up, its someone who hasnt been on here long. LOL
Old 03-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Dilireus
2nd Gear Member

I've got some news for you, bud. Just because people don't visit this particular forum doesn't mean they're idiots. And just because someone has a 25,000 post count doesn't mean they are the oracle of everything Mustang. This isn't the first remark like this I've seen from people here either. I'll gladly just disappear if that's your attitude.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dilireus

I've got some news for you, bud. Just because people don't visit this particular forum doesn't mean they're idiots. And just because someone has a 25,000 post count doesn't mean they are the oracle of everything Mustang. This isn't the first remark like this I've seen from people here either. I'll gladly just disappear if that's your attitude.
wow.. for once it wasnt me that pissed someone off to the point of leaving the forum.

Dilireus, Rajun wasnt insulting you in any way... its just a commonly known fact that the people who frequent this forum, STILL have no idea how to use the search function. And typicaly when someone bumps an old thread its becaus they probably googled their way here, saw the thread (didnt read the date) and posted in it.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Dilireus

Just calm down there my friend ..no need to be a loose cannon,,,,you need to learn to not let constructive criticism set your short fuse to burn mode.. if you have a question regarding strength of blocks why not create your own thread after exhausting the search function methood..we are all willing to help fellow mustang owners
Old 03-15-2008, 03:29 PM
88convertman
1st Gear Member

I know a guy that says "i have a turbo set up running 15 psi and running in the low 7 sec range with nitro in the high 6 range on a bone stock block, heads with a box carb and a good tune msd" is this true if so im doing it lol

Quick Reply: Whats the cheapest shortblock i could use and where to get it?