5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

modded but still guttless! why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: modded but still guttless! why?

ORIGINAL: vtecwho

take a look at this... one MAF LOOKS LIKE the stock BUT says its a cobra.... then another one LOOKS like the cobra MAF and is the one i have been doing research about (the MAF with the vertical bar). autozone had the "cobra one" that looks identical to my 55mm NON cobra MAF.

im confused now, does it matter of the housing as long at the electricals match the eec and the injectors properly??

http://www.autopart.com/MAFS/MAFS1993FORDMUSTANG.htm
i'm pretty sure the third one down is the one you want. you should call a ford dealership and ask them what the part number is for a maf for a 93 cobra unless somebody knows it in here. then you will know what part number you need.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

ive been calling around trying to find a cobra MAF for the last day or two now. i fisrt called the ford dealership and they wanted 460 dollars so i bought it from them....JK, yea freakin right!! thats a riddiculous price. it turns out that autozone had the exact 93 cobra MAF for a whopping 98 bucks out the door.

ill give it some time to get used to the new MAF and let ya know.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:58 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

I bet its gonna haul ***! [sm=gears.gif]

ive been calling around trying to find a cobra MAF for the last day or two now. i fisrt called the ford dealership and they wanted 460 dollars so i bought it from them....JK, yea freakin right!! thats a riddiculous price. it turns out that autozone had the exact 93 cobra MAF for a whopping 98 bucks out the door.

ill give it some time to get used to the new MAF and let ya know.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

^^^+1
with that setup up it should haul...

only other thing i could see that would choke you upother than themaf(which you have fixed now)is you dont list any aftermarket exhaust on the car... if you dont currently have it i would buy some headers, 2.5"h-pipe, and 2.5"catback exhaust setup to help the motor breath better... seeing how you have everything to help it get the air in, a complete exhaust setup would help it out alot
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

i may not have said it earlier but i have full exaust, mac headers, and flowmaster, with 4 cats.....
dont get me wrong, the car is fast. but so are slightly modded 5.0s, i just would expect it to be faster with all the aftermarket stuff, it almost fells like it has low compression, it only have 136000 on it tho.

im so curious what hp it has im thinking about putting it on a dyno
Old 03-21-2007, 10:02 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

i'd be interested to learn weather or not those are Explorer GT-40 heads... which would mean that if they were not machined properly, you WOULD have lower compression
Old 03-21-2007, 11:24 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

IF they are gt40 heads from an explorer, would the heads be stamped with anything different than what they are stamped with, GT. i was reading in "the official ford mustang 5.0 technical reference and performance handbook" (catch breath) that the gt40 heads say exactly what adder said, that the right side of the head on the front part is stamped with GT.

from my understanding if they were explorer heads is may say GTP. but im not forsure
Old 03-21-2007, 11:30 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

no no.. explorers from 96-97.5 were gt-40 heads... 97.5-2000 were gt-40P heads...

Honestly, the only way to know for sure would be to pop them off and do a valumetric measurement of the combustion chamber..... So I guess we will never know if they are true cobra heads, or just Explorer take off's.

you MIGHT be able to measure their height as well... but that wont tell you much if they had been milled down already.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:43 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

should i do a compression check on it, i have the tools but ive never done it before and i think i may have a difficult time getting a good seal. or should i toss it on a dyno and see if the numbers match up to the power adders. maybe my expectations of this car are too high. i jacked up the rear of the car and did the wheel turn vs. drive shaft turn to see the gear ratio and it seems they are 3.55s.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 AM
tortugasmoker
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

is it possible that the stock MAF can be calibrated?? ive heard of people doing a 70mm MAF conversion.... or somthing like that. or does it physically have to be bigger.

the pic of my upper mainfold should show up.... as you can see it is a gt 40, not a cobra, like what was suggested before.
the size of the maf has nothing to do with the calibration of it.. it all has to do with the sampling tube and the electronics in the maf itself. a stock maf is calibrated to 19lb injectors and you have 24lb injectors and youre computer is calibrated for 24lb injectors,thus the reason why youre car is not running to it's full potential. i'm not too up on what the best aftermarket mafs that are out there are but hopefully someone will chime in and let you know what is the best one to get.
you guys really need to drop it with this "calibrated maf" crap...

MAF's dont have a calibration.... the ability to run a certain size injector has to do with the programming of the ECM.

a 19# "calibrated" MAF will work fine on a cobra computer, since its tune is varied from the stock A9* computer...
yeah i totally agree, i have an 89 with cobra u/l intake, ported e7s, cobra ecu, cobra MAF, and 19 pounders and it runs like a champ.

Quick Reply: modded but still guttless! why?