5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

push rods

Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: push rods

ORIGINAL: my77stang

anything hardend that are one piece style should be pretty good. the "*****" on the end are welded in and can pop off. the one on the left is a stock style, the one on the right is what you want.... i dunno exactly what style that one in the middle is LOL but i looks like the ***** are welded. did thumper cut down the rocker mounts and tap them for screw-in studs and guideplates? i really hope your not running a bolt down rocker with a huge *** lift cam

thumper hasnt done nething yet... there settin ne my house all wrapped up goin to the ups store tomorrow.... im a smart *** i know... i couldnt help myself.... but yea.... his got it all worked out... i even had him talk to jay so the 2 were on the same page... so it should all go pretty smooth
Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

jesus lets see if i remember correctly..... the installed vavle stem hieght is something like 2.157 - 2.187 for BOTH intake and exhaust. the pushrod length is the same. what lift is this cam and what kinda spring pressures do you have where you would destroy stock lifters? if your going something that ***** out i would certainly suggest GOOD thickwalled hardend pushrods.

and pushrod length has nothing to do with piston to valve clearance, rather it is determined by the correct valvetrain geometry. the lifter must have some pre-load but not be bottomed out when the rocker arms are adjusted. (i sure hope you have screw-in studs and guideplates on these heads with the crazy specs your talking about). if they did your heads right, the stock length SHOULD be the right size where everything can be adjusted properly with your setup.
hes looking at aftermarket heads isnt he, i was just letting him know because im running holley systemax heads and the pushrod length is no where near stock length. once again thats with a pedestal mount setup. thats why i added that above and i stand corrected my brains not running right,i meant to say piston to valve should be checked before head installation. pushrod determination by top dead center. its getting late need some coffee sorry
Old 03-20-2007, 02:10 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iceman89gt

jesus lets see if i remember correctly..... the installed vavle stem hieght is something like 2.157 - 2.187 for BOTH intake and exhaust. the pushrod length is the same. what lift is this cam and what kinda spring pressures do you have where you would destroy stock lifters? if your going something that ***** out i would certainly suggest GOOD thickwalled hardend pushrods.

and pushrod length has nothing to do with piston to valve clearance, rather it is determined by the correct valvetrain geometry. the lifter must have some pre-load but not be bottomed out when the rocker arms are adjusted. (i sure hope you have screw-in studs and guideplates on these heads with the crazy specs your talking about). if they did your heads right, the stock length SHOULD be the right size where everything can be adjusted properly with your setup.
hes looking at aftermarket heads isnt he, i was just letting him know because im running holley systemax heads and the pushrod length is no where near stock length. once again thats with a pedestal mount setup. thats why i added that above and i stand corrected my brains not running right,i meant to say piston to valve should be checked before head installation. pushrod determination by top dead center. its getting late need some coffee sorry
oh your fine... the heads arent aftermarket tho.. my car cam stock with gt-40s... there jus getting ported the hell out of... with valve worth and all htat good stuff... so length should be the same im hoping...
Old 03-20-2007, 02:10 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

If you are getting stronger valve springs i would suggest getting hardened pushrods. Trickflow has a one piece hardened pushrod that isnt too expensive, but you should check for correct pushrod length.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:15 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

If you are getting stronger valve springs i would suggest getting hardened pushrods. Trickflow has a one piece hardened pushrod that isnt too expensive, but you should check for correct pushrod length.
onyx you took words out my mouth, im running chromeolly trickflow rods, got em from summit for $79. by the way i have a brand new set of .0065 or .0069 maybe, there in the shop at home and never been used so if anyone needs em i will donate for free.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:41 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iceman89gt

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

onyx you took words out my mouth, im running chromeolly trickflow rods, got em from summit for $79. by the way i have a brand new set of .0065 or .0069 maybe, there in the shop at home and never been used so if anyone needs em i will donate for free.
brand new set of what?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:53 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

man my brain is off track, i guess its cause im at work and talking on here typing mach 1, i left out thye 6 as in 6.65 or 6.69 i was thinking about and talking to the foreman over my crew about .035 wire while typing so i guess i shouldnt mix work with pleasure.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:59 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

lol, ok nvm, i think i need pushrods around 6.25", i will know soon hopefully.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:10 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ok im come to the conclusion that i need 5/16 diameter with a .080jay told me this.... he siad that no1 can really tell me the size i need tho... i guess every application is different... how do u go about measure the length u need??? what do u measure??
Old 03-20-2007, 05:36 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

no1 knows what u measure to find the needed length of a push rod??? is there a calcuation or nething like that??? ne thing i need something to work with lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: push rods