5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 05:13 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Pinging

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

ORIGINAL: nemethjames1
when you hear pinging, its the pistons rocking back and forth inside the cylinder due to the gas igniting prematurely
No the pinging you hear is two separate flame fronts impacting each other in the cylinder.

And if you live up in colder climate locations (below freezing most of the winter) then you will get some heavily "winterized" gas which is more likely to ping. Also in colder weather the ecu adds (or doesn't pull) as much timing due to the cooler intake temps. Run some higher octane gas or octane booster that should help - also only gettin gas from places like Shell & Chevron

i was talking to a tech at the toyota dealer and he was telling me that, it is igniting in cylinders that arent supposed to fire, and the actul ping noise you here is the pistion rocking inside the cyilnder, and if you continue to let it do that it wont be long before something ****s up..... but maybe he's wrong i suppose.... but he sure seemd to know what he was talking about
Old 11-11-2004, 08:47 PM
SilverStallion
2nd Gear Member

I got the same problem on my 95GT. Does yours seem to lose top end power too? It seems to run much better if i disconnect my MAS, so im thinkin that might be the problem. im gonna borrow my friends and see if it helps. If your timing is correct, you may just not be getting enough fuel. Check fuel pressure?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:59 PM
JT Steeda

Ya the top end seems to be horrible when it is pinging. I allready replaced the MAF and the o2 sensors and all, ill try the octane booster, 91 octane and try lowering my timing. ill let you guys know. thanx for all the info
Old 11-11-2004, 09:18 PM
racer r

does your car get real hot? that will make it detonate also
Old 11-11-2004, 09:26 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

yes it will, and the guy at the Toyota dealer is excactly rightits your timing, set it at 10 then take it out for a WOT test, keep bumping it up a degree, then take it for a test...... bump it up... keep doing this until it start to ping then back it off1 degree, each car is different and the timing that works best fr each car will vary
Old 11-11-2004, 09:34 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

when you hear pinging, its the pistons rocking back and forth inside the cylinder due to the gas igniting prematurely
No the pinging you hear is two separate flame fronts impacting each other in the cylinder.

And if you live up in colder climate locations (below freezing most of the winter) then you will get some heavily "winterized" gas which is more likely to ping. Also in colder weather the ecu adds (or doesn't pull) as much timing due to the cooler intake temps. Run some higher octane gas or octane booster that should help - also only gettin gas from places like Shell & Chevron
i was talking to a tech at the toyota dealer and he was telling me that, it is igniting in cylinders that arent supposed to fire, and the actul ping noise you here is the pistion rocking inside the cyilnder, and if you continue to let it do that it wont be long before something ****s up..... but maybe he's wrong i suppose.... but he sure seemd to know what he was talking about
A toyota tech in a town near here told me mustangs had no potential & this was coming from a guy that drove a MR2.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:06 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

mr2 can be fast, but it will never look as good as a foxbody