5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need help finding out info on cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default need help finding out info on cam

ok for the smart guys, ford owners and smart all i nthe same group lmao.... j/k

now down to buisness. i picked up this cam the other day. its new came out ofa crate motor. well the problem is this only markings on the cam that i see are TE that is next to the dist gear. now when we mic'd the lobes they came out to be like 1.7 and 1.75 now a stock cam mic'd is like 1.39. some how there is a formula to figure it out. now with te forumula it came out to be .510 and .560 for this cam. that is huge ****ing cam. there has to be another way or some how to figure this cam out. no way in hell any of us can run this cam but it came out of a crate motor
Old 11-11-2004, 11:08 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: need help finding out info on cam

i got no idea ohsoquik, did you try google searching it?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:17 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

most crate motors come with a B or E FMS cam, any other #'s on the cam? you can always stick it in and degree it to get the specs
Old 11-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

that is what i thought but some how this is up there. now maybe its not a ford based cam cause usually ford cams are the same. and i think FMS cams are marked with numbers this one doesnt
ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

most crate motors come with a B or E FMS cam, any other #'s on the cam? you can always stick it in and degree it to get the specs
Old 11-12-2004, 08:56 AM
WorldMustang
1st Gear Member

only "E" cams I did find TE Camshaft Engine lathe for sale lol, it is not a Ford Product or anyone elses I can find. I looked for over an hour... sorry nothing
Old 11-12-2004, 01:54 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the best way to check the cam lift is do install it between two centers on a lathe so you can rotate it and then use a magnetic base 1" dial indicator on the lobes to check the lift figures. set the indicator to read zero on the base circle and then slowly rotate the cam and watch the dial indicator movement and read the maximum value when the indicator is on the lobe tip. this is the cam lift, multiply it by 1.6 for the rocker ratio and you'll get the lift at the valve. if a lathe is not available, you can put the cam into two "V" blocks on the two outside bearings and do the same check. just make sure everything is tightly attached so the only movement is the rotation of the cam itself. I would also check several lobes for both the intake and exhaust to get an average lift figure and see how close they are to each other too.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

thanks ill try that, now is htere any way to get duration?
Old 11-13-2004, 05:55 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

sounds like you should just buy a cam you know for sure of lol
Old 11-13-2004, 12:42 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

thanks ill try that, now is htere any way to get duration?
yes, you need a degree wheel though and be turning the cam in V-blocks in order to measure duration. attached the wheel to one end of the cam and make a pointer so you can mark a spot with it on the wheel. start on the base circle and zero the indicator then slowly rotate the cam until the lift is 0.050". note the reading on the wheel, now rotate the cam until the lobe goes over the top and the lift numbers start to decline until you get to 0.050" again. note the reading on the wheel again. subtract the two readings and you'll have the duration at 0.050" where most of them are measured.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

thanks again, ill try that also at the same time

Quick Reply: need help finding out info on cam