5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Water in Oil...Need Help...ASAP...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 AM
richard4221
1st Gear Member

Default Water in Oil...Need Help...ASAP...

hey, i just got back from street racing and my car started to smell like antifreeze... i stopped popped the hood and my radiator cap was gushing water from the bottom of it...it was on tight, but it was just letting the water rush out....i parked it and put more antifreeze in the radiator and then later checked it again...it was low again....i then checked my oil and transmission fluids and found that there was water in the oil....ppl tell me that it can be a cracked head, cracked block, or just a blown head gasket...my father in law works for spikes ford and said for me not to take the heads off, he wanted to do a compression test on it....anyone know what else it could be in case it was neither....oh, and will oil and water mess up my engine, some went inside my upper and lower intakes???
Old 03-26-2007, 02:01 AM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Water in Oil...Need Help...ASAP...

of course water in your oil can mess up your engine........ think you might have blown a head gasket....
Old 03-26-2007, 02:03 AM
richard4221
1st Gear Member

im hoping just that, but whats the compression test for????
Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 AM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

if you run it and allow it to continue to mix when you change the oil you will destroy the crank and rod bearingsi have seen it many times.... a cylinder leak down test is the best way to find the problem.. takes a special tool though if the compression test dosent show anything use a cylinder leak gauge
Old 03-26-2007, 02:12 AM
cbennett
3rd Gear Member

i had perfect compression when i had a cracked cylinder wall..(i still do )
also.. when i filled the radiator up with water.. and pressurizd it to 15 lbs, nothing came out of the oil pan..

just hope its a head gasket, AND DO NOT DRIVE IT

just my 2 cents
Old 03-26-2007, 02:16 AM
richard4221
1st Gear Member

hey, yeah, anykind of feedback is appreciated....i had already took off the upper intake and barely going to take off the heads when my father in law told me not to .... i want to work on my car but i have to wait till tomarrow for the compression test, where can i get that cylinder leak guade at???or done???
Old 03-26-2007, 02:21 AM
cbennett
3rd Gear Member

to check for compression, you just put the compression check tool, intoeach spark plug hole of your head, and turn the crank

will taking the plenum off, lower the amount of compression shown on the gauge?
i dont see how it could.. but it seems like ive heard that before.. could someone clear that up for me?
im a computer geek, not a mechanic
Old 03-26-2007, 02:24 AM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

compression checks are not the best check[8D]... isnt full proof the best tests are cylinder leakdown and block testwith aleakdown testyou put compressed air in the cylinder with a tool that has two gauges on it one shows the amount of air going in the other shows bleed off, then you check the dipstick tube, intake, and exhaust for the compressed air leak when you see a pressure drop the cylinder tested must be on the compression stroke of coursethe block test checks the cooling system for combustion gasses with engine running ... if your father in law is a mechanic he knows all about this stuff. i bought my leakdown gauge off the snap on man it was pricey try to borrow one
Old 03-26-2007, 02:25 AM
richard4221
1st Gear Member

am i going to need to take off my oil pan to take the water out that still needs to be changed or can i just put new oil run it for a couple of days and then change it all over again...
Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 AM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

just drain it and refill with new filter run a few minutes and do it again.. waiste of time till you get it fixed though... just dont run it untill it is fixed

Quick Reply: Water in Oil...Need Help...ASAP...