5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Converting from the import scene...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:09 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Converting from the import scene...

mine is till bone stock...but in a couple weeks it will be a VERY scary beast! i got my piston rods torqued down this morning and the heads & valvetrain are about to go in.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

flowmaster 40s, bbk offroad hpipe, and shorty headers. That combo will sound great mate.
+1 it will sound good and be a pretty decently priced set up and will net you some performance gains deffanitly... people might give you crap for running flowmaster's.. but hey.. they do sound good.. if you want a really loud stang, run the shorty headers, off-road h-pipe, anda SLP LM1 cat back. you wont be disapointed.
I might tell you to get Slp Lm II's and a O/r pipe... but then i wouldent be the only mustang owner on the road with one ...
Old 04-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Hurricanedt77
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the Dark Side
Old 04-13-2007, 02:47 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wasatch 5.0

Here are a couple pics. I put the car up in the air tonight and found the source of the oil leak, the damned oil pan gasket looks like it's blowing out the sides, mainly on the passenger side of the motor. I'm glad that's all it is, should be an easy fix. The car is pretty much bone stock with the exception of an aftermarket deck. Looks like a pretty solid car to start getting the projects going on. Another thing, this thing needs suspension in a bad way. The shocks/struts on all four corners are blown out. Thinking about tossing some bilstein hd's or sports on in the next month. Maybe a coilover set?

looks like my car did when it was stock. when i got my car it was BONE stock down to the air filter and air silencer. click on the link in my sig for some ideas
Old 04-13-2007, 02:59 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LCBlackDep183

flowmaster 40s, bbk offroad hpipe, and shorty headers. That combo will sound great mate.
+1 it will sound good and be a pretty decently priced set up and will net you some performance gains deffanitly... people might give you crap for running flowmaster's.. but hey.. they do sound good.. if you want a really loud stang, run the shorty headers, off-road h-pipe, anda SLP LM1 cat back. you wont be disapointed.
I might tell you to get Slp Lm II's and a O/r pipe... but then i wouldent be the only mustang owner on the road with one ...
Only problem with that is that SLPs are OMFGexpensive. $500 vs. $219 for the flowmasters.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:13 PM
91bigredgt
1st Gear Member

welcome to mustangs, i just switched over as well just got my mustang yesterday (still gotta learn to drive it lol) but yeah ive got a friend who is a vw enthusiast as well aka mustang hater for life lol but anyway im sure u will love the power if u end up getting that mustang
Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VigCS

ORIGINAL: LCBlackDep183

Only problem with that is that SLPs are OMFGexpensive. $500 vs. $219 for the flowmasters.
are SLP's really 250 a freaking muffler?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:39 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308
are SLP's really 250 a freaking muffler?
$470 shipped from a couple of places....for the LM1's. BUT, they are exceptional quality and 100% 304 stainless, not 409, which has more carbon and can still rust.

As far as the oil pan gasket, pick up a rubber Fel-pro replacement...WORLDS better than the cork crap. Be sure to put a little RTV in the corners where it goes over the crank to help it seal better.

1st mods: Check out the articles in the Tech stickies at the top of the 5.0 section for some good ideas.

Brief summary includes:
full exhaust (headers, H or X pipe, and cat-back exhaust)
complete tune up (plugs, wires, rotor/cap, oil/filter, fuel filter, and maybe a new coil)
bump timing (how much depends on whether you want to stay w/ 87 octane or jump up)
remove air silencer (located in pass. side fenderwell, if you still have one)
K&N panel filter and larger MAF (get the inlet tube as well--replaces ridged stock tubing)
Old 04-14-2007, 07:17 AM
dvargas

It all depends on how fast you want to spend!
Old 04-15-2007, 03:25 AM
Wasatch 5.0

Damn, been pretty busy with this car today. Completed the following;

Cleaned the engine bay.
Oil and filter changed out, Mobil-1 synthetic and OEM motorcraft filter.
Changed out the plugs, OEM motorcraft.
Changed out the cap and rotor, again OEM.
Charged the AC.
Deleted the front plate.
Replaced driver's side door molding, old one was broken.
Fixed the fog lights.
Replaced the old cracked serp belt.
Seafoamed.
Removed the old faded window tint and residual glue. (PITA)
Took out all the PO's personal mods, ie pedal covers, seat covers, ...etc.
Cleaned the hell out of it inside and out.

Also managed to take some pics:

Gawd this car is fun!

[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Converting from the import scene...