5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Why would my exhaust hurt my performance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Milky
4th Gear Member

Default Why would my exhaust hurt my performance?

I brought my car into my local muffler shop to get my tip taken off and turn ddowns put on... My car was already relatively fast I had some mods done to it (i think they're in my sig..) but after i got my car my cars performance went down a bit, it just doesn't pull like it did.

The only thing I can think of is that there is back pressure now that could be hurting but I don't know really. The turn downs are about 5 inches long after the mufflers if that matters.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:51 PM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why would my exhaust hurt my performance?

yea i would say not enough back pressure.....and if your pipes are too big/small
Old 11-16-2004, 11:53 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

yup, i want to do a magnapack cat back on mine, i miis my tips lol what size pipe do u have?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

its funny how ppl run dumps and to large of an exhaust on a underpowered car. if your not making some serious power anything more or less then 2.5 full exhaust will hurt performance. an engine does need some back pressure for street use what you might of gained for topend peak youll lose drastic amout of low to mid with oversized pipes and pipes to short
Old 11-17-2004, 12:05 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

thats interesting, my mods are in my signiture..... how much hp increase do you think i will get going formmy 2 chambers dumped, to a Magnapack cat back??? thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Milky
4th Gear Member

Well ive got bbk shorties into 2.5 inch catless pipes, 40 series flows and then the dumps... I can't get it through my head why backpressure would IMPROVE anything... If my mods don't come up this time in my sig ill type em out...
Old 11-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

well magnaflows do have better flowing rate but they sound like ***. you will hate the full system of magnaflows over flows dump'd. youll gain more low to mid power with the full system. enough where you will feel it again. your peak numbers may not change but your dyno sheet will show better in the low to mid range. this is where most ppl drive anyways
Old 11-17-2004, 12:25 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

AWSOME, thanks a lot , man whydo u think packs sound soo bad, everyone I know loves them including me lol
Old 11-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

cause they sound like a turbo muffler. if you like raspy sound then go for it. i like a deep base sound. a sound you get from a muffler that has chambers not packing in it and packing blows out eventually where as chambers cant blow out.
ORIGINAL: bobby

AWSOME, thanks a lot , man whydo u think packs sound soo bad, everyone I know loves them including me lol
Old 11-17-2004, 12:34 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

but they rust out[&:]

Quick Reply: Why would my exhaust hurt my performance?