5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

302 engine build need help!!!

Old 11-18-2004, 03:56 AM
mstng675l
2nd Gear Member

Default 302 engine build need help!!!

what is the best way to build a budget 12 second 302??? what components should i focus on. I have a stock 1983 5.0 bottom end and am planning to keep the block and maybe the crank and rods. I plan to keep the edlebrock air gap manifold and the holley 650 double pump carburator and also the full msd ignition. where should i start?? please help!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 03:59 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 302 engine build need help!!!

nitrous
Old 11-18-2004, 04:03 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

carbs suck. your case spray is the cheapest at first
Old 11-18-2004, 04:34 AM
mstng675l
2nd Gear Member

may someone with some inteligence actually respond. im not into the nitrous scene and obviously this ohsoqhik guy dosnt know what he is talking about...sorry for the offensive coments but ignorant people bug..
Old 11-18-2004, 05:26 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

you MIGHT get there with some major head/cam work..... in my opinion those 83 blocks are crap.... might want to consider another, maybe?
Old 11-18-2004, 10:01 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

ya your better off with a newer 5.0 with EFI. Otherwise you are just going to be wasting your money. And also going to be having a ton of problems when it comes to modding it when you have a 83 carbed.

Nick
Old 11-18-2004, 10:17 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Guys, there is nothing wrong with a carb. A guy that work in the body shop is running 10.6s N/A...with a carb...on stock rods and crank. Built and balanced of course.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

that is your opinion buddy. look at why i stated what i did. i dont need to clown you about this so next time you step out of line and try to make a fool out of me. youll be hard to do that. now since you know it all why are you using a 83 block a non roller block? also most ppl that go carb usually over carb their motors. small motors like 302s like carbs in the range of 525 to 625 any thing larger ususally hurts peformance. like stated carbs suck. yes they have their advantages but they just suck IMHO. if you not into nitrous but you still want to do a budget 12 second. see you never stated what type of budget you are one. some ppl can only afford nitrous as their budget allows. a good 125 shot to 150 shot can easliy knock off a 1 1/2 off your time. that there gets a stang 12s. not knowing what is all done to your car. i would actually get a suspension so you can easily hit mid 13s with a stock motor. you can find a stock set of 351 heads and put in some work on them or go out and buy a set of gt40s or even gt40p. with some pocket porting they can flow some decent numbers and make good power. now with using a roller block the popular FMS cams arent usuable to you as you sit. so now you have to actually look to see what is avabible. to give you a helpfull hint go wit ha cam in the range of 224 duration and in the means of 500 lift. you dont want to over cam your heads. if you do you can hurt performance. now is this much better for you all great one????
ORIGINAL: mstng675l

may someone with some inteligence actually respond. im not into the nitrous scene and obviously this ohsoqhik guy dosnt know what he is talking about...sorry for the offensive coments but ignorant people bug..
Old 11-18-2004, 11:13 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

if ur talkin about ford motor sports they actually do have cams for a solid roller, and theres nothing really rong with a solid roller block. a guy i no has a solid roler on his stroker and is making way more power then anyone i no and he said that thats one of his advantages. any ways, if u really want 12's the thing thats gonna help u the most is ur suspesion. get some dr's and go to a machine shop and get ur heads and intake all done up and call a company up to see what the best cam for ur combo wood be. a small shot of nitrouse and some real good suspecion shood get u there. for some people they spend more on suspension then they do to the motor so juss get all new suspesnion components and some fatter tires in the back and go to the track and see what u run. then go and get the motor work done and if ur still a long ways from 12's try removing some weight. im sure a rear seat delete, no power steering or ac, battery in the trunk, springs upper/lower control arms, sub frames and a small shot of nos will get u there
Old 11-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

i know FMS sells cams for them but i stated the popular ones. as in the b,e,f,x,z cams
ORIGINAL: 87mustang347

if ur talkin about ford motor sports they actually do have cams for a solid roller, and theres nothing really rong with a solid roller block. a guy i no has a solid roler on his stroker and is making way more power then anyone i no and he said that thats one of his advantages. any ways, if u really want 12's the thing thats gonna help u the most is ur suspesion. get some dr's and go to a machine shop and get ur heads and intake all done up and call a company up to see what the best cam for ur combo wood be. a small shot of nitrouse and some real good suspecion shood get u there. for some people they spend more on suspension then they do to the motor so juss get all new suspesnion components and some fatter tires in the back and go to the track and see what u run. then go and get the motor work done and if ur still a long ways from 12's try removing some weight. im sure a rear seat delete, no power steering or ac, battery in the trunk, springs upper/lower control arms, sub frames and a small shot of nos will get u there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 302 engine build need help!!!