5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.
View Poll Results: A poll
Leave it Auto
41.67%
Change it to manual
58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic or Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:32 AM
MurPHy

Default RE: Automatic or Manual

ORIGINAL: 4fit?

I currently have a 5 speed, but I hope to change over to a C4 in the future. With that said:
fun to drive = 5 speed
whoop *** with consistent passes=C4

My vote -- C4
So, this boils it down to whether or not he drag races. If he doesn't, then a manual is the way to go (so much fun!). If he is hardcore about getting consistent passes at the drags, then C4, yeah. AOD might work too, but, I hate mine. It is TEH SUXXORZ. Yeah.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:16 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

its not THAT bad!
ORIGINAL: MurPHy

ORIGINAL: 4fit?

I currently have a 5 speed, but I hope to change over to a C4 in the future. With that said:
fun to drive = 5 speed
whoop *** with consistent passes=C4

My vote -- C4
So, this boils it down to whether or not he drag races. If he doesn't, then a manual is the way to go (so much fun!). If he is hardcore about getting consistent passes at the drags, then C4, yeah. AOD might work too, but, I hate mine. It is TEH SUXXORZ. Yeah.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:23 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the AOD is easily built up with shift kits and converters so that it will compete with 5 speeds and win easily both on the street and at the strip.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:27 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

FOR SURE!
ORIGINAL: roundman

the AOD is easily built up with shift kits and converters so that it will compete with 5 speeds and win easily both on the street and at the strip.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:30 AM
MurPHy

That may be true, but I still hate mine. I want complete control. Always. Plus, my Mustang is bonestock, so I will get about another second off of teh 1/4 time, just by replacing the transmisson. TEH T5 WINS!

Now I need all the crap to do a transmission swap, on the cheap. THat's not gonna be fun to look for...
Old 11-20-2004, 02:33 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

a SECOND!?[&:]
Old 11-20-2004, 04:28 AM
slo93aod
2nd Gear Member

i ran 13.40s in an aod car with stock heads, cam and intake...
just get a stall and a gear, fug the stick. Its a lot of fun whippin up on the 5 speed cars with an aod, they never expect it. Plus they might even give you land... I still have an aod in the car with the 398, but like said before for a drag car go C4
Old 11-20-2004, 04:50 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

keep it auto, if you want a 5spd, buy another car, its not a cheap project yano
Old 11-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

for both of you, one 5 speeds arent faster then autos. your not going to gain a full second from doing a 5 speed swap. most ppl that have sticks cant use them to hte fullest anyways. most of them just tires like crazy cause they do the dump effect. yes stock aod sucks but moded it will destroy sticks when racing. autos are alot more consistant for racing. and fi you go shifts for shifts a auto is faster and doesnt lose as much rpms as a stick does.
ORIGINAL: mkspeed26

its up 2 u. manual is much more fun and faster for what u are doin, but remember that the t-5s suck *****. if u put in a 5 speed, get a good one.
ORIGINAL: MurPHy

That may be true, but I still hate mine. I want complete control. Always. Plus, my Mustang is bonestock, so I will get about another second off of teh 1/4 time, just by replacing the transmisson. TEH T5 WINS!

Now I need all the crap to do a transmission swap, on the cheap. THat's not gonna be fun to look for...
Old 11-20-2004, 05:20 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

WRONG!!!! manuels are way faster then autos. i dont no where u got that from. ive driven in stock auto mustangs and stock 5spd mustangs, stock auto jettas and stock 5spd jettasand a lot more other cars . the 5spd wins every time. unless ur the ultimate driver like u think u are and u can juss out drive every single person out there, 5spds are always faster

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual