5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

First Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Checkk
2nd Gear Member

Default First Car

I am going to be getting my first car sometime within the next few weeks. I've wanted a 5.0 liter for the last 6 years when my brother got his.

Any ways, I won't be able to get my own license for about 7 months, but my dad said it would be alright to get a car to work on and he would put it on his insurance so I could drive it and learn manual before I turn 16.

I'll just get to the point. I am going to get a 87-93 5.0 and am planning on dropping in this engine http://tinyurl.com/3b5etm and a new t-5 tranny. Along with a better fuel system, exhaust, ignition... anything that can improve performance like that. Possibly a supercharger further down the road.

-How much does restoring a Fox cost on average? Just the engine?

-Is that a good engine? It's one of the cheapest ones, but I'm thinking would be just stock. Any idea how torque it has? Does anyone have a 351?

-The T-5 only has "330 ft./lbs. torque capacity." Would it be a bad idea to use if I am planning on making it a little more powerful?

-What parts do you suggest using? Any chance anyone has a list of everything needed to completely rebuild an engine?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First Car

well you have alot to learn, i can tell. First I would suggest that you build up a 351w yourself, head to the junk yard and grab one up, I say this b/c you are only 15 and im sure you dont have alot of money and because if you buy a shortblock you are spending way to much for something that wont have as much power as it would if you picked out the parts yourself. As for the t-5 it will hold up to a stock 351w but not one with serious power, look into tko or something stronger. I assume you are going to want to pick up some girls in this thing, so you better save a few grand for paint. If you want learn some stuff on rebuilding a ford small block get to a book store they have a few books out there worth reading, after you read that "we" will be hear to answer any of your other questions.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Checkk
2nd Gear Member

Right now, I have $4,500 and I will be getting a job in about 3 weeks since I am moving this Saturday.

I would perfer not building a moter up from the block, only because I don't want to **** it up with something stupied. However, my brother has taken some mechanic classes and I'm sure he would have some idea what to do. But we don't have any special tools. If I were to start from the block, what would you suggest(302, 351W, ect.)?

Time to start reading.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 07:55 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

well you have alot to learn, i can tell. First I would suggest that you build up a 351w yourself, head to the junk yard and grab one up, I say this b/c you are only 15 and im sure you dont have alot of money and because if you buy a shortblock you are spending way to much for something that wont have as much power as it would if you picked out the parts yourself. As for the t-5 it will hold up to a stock 351w but not one with serious power, look into tko or something stronger. I assume you are going to want to pick up some girls in this thing, so you better save a few grand for paint. If you want learn some stuff on rebuilding a ford small block get to a book store they have a few books out there worth reading, after you read that "we" will be hear to answer any of your other questions.
+1 to that
Old 04-09-2007, 08:29 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

4500, why dont you just buy a fox with an already built motor and tranny that runs and drives? You can find a great running fox, fairly stok, or fairly modded for 4500. Then just upgrade it as you like. If you are dead set on "restoring one" i would definately shop around a little bit more for engines. Maybe talk to your local machine shop
Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 PM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

go with a 351 windsor block if you want to build one up, incase you care i think its 94 and up are roller blocks
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deanzawistowski

go with a 351 windsor block if you want to build one up, incase you care i think its 94 and up are roller blocks
Like he said 351w and the 94 and up blocks are roller ready and I ve heard even the 92-93 were roller ready. I strongly suggest you buy a book on building engines, the assembly is actually pretty easy as long as you do have the right tools, but you will learn from the books what tools you need and they really arent that expensive some you can actually rent. Building an engine yourself make the car more personal to b/c you will know all the spec of it and you will have the benifit of saying you built it. And even if you dont want to build it I still say dont buy a shortblock, you can get all the parts you need and have an engine builder put it together for you.
Since you have that much money I really suggest you find yourself a 87-93 notch or really any notch of any year, since they are the lightest. It would be alot easier to start out with a v8 car b/c all the wiring wont need to be swapped and you can use the K-member, but with if you plan to usea tubular k-member than you could go with a 4cyl car and then you could use the same suspension plus a 4cyl car would more likely have gone thru as much stress and beatings as a v8 car
another thing is, since you have $4500 now i think you should just build an engine now and then find a car to put it in, you'll be less distracted by things like rust and crap.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

damn thats how much a sh*tty fox is around here
ORIGINAL: nmerrill

4500, why dont you just buy a fox with an already built motor and tranny that runs and drives? You can find a great running fox, fairly stok, or fairly modded for 4500. Then just upgrade it as you like. If you are dead set on "restoring one" i would definately shop around a little bit more for engines. Maybe talk to your local machine shop
Old 04-10-2007, 01:32 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

pshhh that 351 is crap, 250 horses.... those are easily capable of 300 plus, i mean an 87+ 302 makes about 225

buy a 5.0 and builda 302 or a 351 up from scratch, if you find a junkyard shortie (with intenals) for cheap with a working crank and all, all you really need is a wrench, no special tools (aside from an engine stand and a cherrypicker, probably about 350 total for both)

If i were you i would go with an EFI, not carbed, for smog reasons (if your in cali, if not, knock yourself out) and fuel economy.

as for a tranny, if you plan on putting more than 300 bucks through it, your gonna have to fork out the cash and get a TKO 5 or 600, or if you really want to, a T56 6 speed.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:00 AM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

everyone hates on carbs.. anywho if your not in cali andif your ona tight budget i would go for a carb cheaper to build then efi and close to the same performance.

Quick Reply: First Car