5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fixing small crack in muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:58 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Fixing small crack in muffler

Hmm... well this crack is very small, i dont even know if it's going to leak or not but i just wanted to put something on it just incase. The crack is very hard to see though and if i didnt look over everything extremely close i wouldn't have seen it.

The welding is a good idea, my only hang up on that is i dont know what material the muffler is made out of (might be stainless) and I want the weld to match...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

Hmm... well this crack is very small, i dont even know if it's going to leak or not but i just wanted to put something on it just incase. The crack is very hard to see though and if i didnt look over everything extremely close i wouldn't have seen it.

The welding is a good idea, my only hang up on that is i dont know what material the muffler is made out of (might be stainless) and I want the weld to match...
To find out if it's stainless Onyx, take a magnet and put it on the case. if the magnet sticks then it's not stainless.. if it doesnt then it is stainless... stainless metal is non-magnetic.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

To find out if it's stainless Onyx, take a magnet and put it on the case. if the magnet sticks then it's not stainless.. if it doesnt then it is stainless... stainless metal is non-magnetic.
That didnt work, maybe you're thinking about aluminum? I know for a fact that the tailpipes are stainless and a magnet sticks right to them...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:07 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

lol. well i know for a fact the medical grade stainless is non-magnetic.. but there are different types of stainless so it was just a quick check to see if it was 100% stainless. who makes the kit? SLP?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:08 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

It's a Bassani catback.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

yeah, i amabout 99.9% surethat bassani uses stainless mufflers.if it doesnt look like a flowmaster muffler then it's not aluminized steel.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:17 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

well I did some research and found that the bassani BX kit has stainless tailpipes and muffler internals, while the stainless catback is all stainless. The catback is used so unfortunately i dont know which one i have, but it's possible i picked up a stainless kit...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:22 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

i would bring it to a welding shop and see what they say as what kind of metal it is. they should be able to tell right off the bat whatkind it is.i wouldnt mess around with any temp fixing stuff like the muffler patch stuff and jb weld. if the crack is as small as you say it is it couldnt cost more then 10-20 bucks to weld it and it's permanint.. you wont have to worry about youre patch stuff falling off later ondown the road then.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

yeah, you make a valid point. I'll have to see about bringing it down there...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:37 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

just my opinion man. i would do it that way because i know it would be permanint.

by the way... why you ditching on the flows man?

Quick Reply: Fixing small crack in muffler