5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do you do an H/C/I swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
2mchtoy

Default RE: How do you do an H/C/I swap?

You are also going to need a harmonic balancer puller if you do not have one already. Do your self a favor and get some new arp head bolts when you are at it, you will thank yourself later and new stock head gaskets will work just fine. Just curious, what type of money do you have to do the top end. IHAVE DONEwhat you are going to do and was not very happy with the power output of the motor after all the work i did. you are only going to be looking at 255 to the wheels with what you are talking about doing. Do yourself a favor and save alittle more and get some aluminum heads and the cobra intake is going to be good till 450fwhp so you will be o.k. if you do not intend to supercharge it. Just some info. from someone that has been there and done that and now has an 8 sec. ride. Hope this helps. Tom
Old 04-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Foxbodyforever
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2mchtoy

You are also going to need a harmonic balancer puller if you do not have one already. Do your self a favor and get some new arp head bolts when you are at it, you will thank yourself later and new stock head gaskets will work just fine. Just curious, what type of money do you have to do the top end. IHAVE DONEwhat you are going to do and was not very happy with the power output of the motor after all the work i did. you are only going to be looking at 255 to the wheels with what you are talking about doing. Do yourself a favor and save alittle more and get some aluminum heads and the cobra intake is going to be good till 450fwhp so you will be o.k. if you do not intend to supercharge it. Just some info. from someone that has been there and done that and now has an 8 sec. ride. Hope this helps. Tom
Thanks Tom but 255 to the wheels is sounding pretty good to me, im gonna put and exhaust on it too which should push me up around 275 which is about my goal. I don't have much money and the guy at the junkyard is gonna sell me an explorer intake and 2 GT40 heads for 200 bucks which i figure is an awesome deal and i don't have enough for $1000 alminumcylinder heads. So 275 is sounding pretty good to me, lol it is my first car But are there any alternatives for cylinder heads in the like 400-500 dollar range cuz i'd be willing to spend that?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Foxbodyforever
2nd Gear Member

bump.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 AM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

Hope this guy dont drop the lifters in the oil pan like the last kid...............
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Blck92GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Foxbodyforever

ORIGINAL: 2mchtoy

Thanks Tom but 255 to the wheels is sounding pretty good to me, im gonna put and exhaust on it too which should push me up around 275 which is about my goal. I don't have much money and the guy at the junkyard is gonna sell me an explorer intake and 2 GT40 heads for 200 bucks which i figure is an awesome deal and i don't have enough for $1000 alminumcylinder heads. So 275 is sounding pretty good to me, lol it is my first car But are there any alternatives for cylinder heads in the like 400-500 dollar range cuz i'd be willing to spend that?
Exhaust is not going to get you 25rwhp. Why go through the hassle of a swapping everything for onlya minor increase in power when you could save up for a couple months and add some major power...probably 100. If you are willing to spend 400-500, save for twice as long and you got yourself some nice aluminum heads. You can find great deals on AFRs, TWs and other heads online.

Anyone know what powerheads go for these days? Those are a decent option as well...my good friend made 289hp with powerheads, e-cam and trick flow street intake a few years back when they first came out.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Foxbodyforever
2nd Gear Member

you can get AFR's for 500? please someone help me find that, that would be so good
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Foxbodyforever

you can get AFR's for 500? please someone help me find that, that would be so good
well, you can probably get one of them for $500
Old 04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Blck92GT
2nd Gear Member

I never said that...you said you were willing to spend 400-500 on some heads, so I said save up twice as long and buy some AFRs. You can find them used for under a grand.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Foxbodyforever
2nd Gear Member

Ok so how about the option of getting the GT40's ported for however much that normally is, i think 400-500? That would put me in the 600-700 for both the heads and intake and would give me a much better gain right?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Foxbodyforever
2nd Gear Member

bump

Quick Reply: How do you do an H/C/I swap?