5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do you do an H/C/I swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Foxbodyforever
2nd Gear Member

Default How do you do an H/C/I swap?

Do you need to take out then engine or can you fit the cam in while its still mounted? Are there alot of sensors in the intake to disconnect. I am going for a cobra or explorer intake with GT40's and an E303 cam, any modifications to make or can i just bolt all of these in? Thanks, srry for another H/C/I thread
Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Blck92GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How do you do an H/C/I swap?

You can do it with the block on the car, but EVERYTHING has to come off. Injector harness, upper and lower intake, all the brackets and accessories on the front (alt, w/p, ps, smog pump), balancer, timing chain cover, heads, headers, radiator...I am probably forgetting something, but you are basically gonna be looking at a lifter valley and some pistsons once everything is apart. As long as you label baggies and put the bolts in corresponding bags then it is no trouble at all. Also take some pics of the motor in various stages of disassmbly to help you out if you get stumped on where something goes. There are a few sensors to swap over, but they are all in the lower intake manifold.

In order to put the cam in with the motor in the car, you must unbolt the AC condenser (if you have AC and it isnt already taken out) and slide it up and out of the way if you dont want ti disconnect the AC lines. Thats the jist of things.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:25 AM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

way to answer it Blck92GT
Old 04-11-2007, 01:37 AM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

I am about to do the same thing...I am expecting my TrickFlow kit tomorrow...

Check out these instructions I found...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techa...intakeswap.pdf

I was going to leave the block in...but while I am down there, I might as well pay some attention to my 100k block. Nothing major, just going to have the bearings replaced, cylinders honed...and a new oil pump. I cannot wait!!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Foxbodyforever
2nd Gear Member

sounds like a big project, but i dont have A/C so that should save me some time thanks for the help guys
Old 04-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Blck92GT
2nd Gear Member

Not having AC isnt going to save you but maybe 15 minutes. You are still looking at a weekend project..that is if you dont break something in the process or the parts store has everything in stock. Make sure you have all the intake, header gaskets and misc. parts you will need to comeplete the job....new timing chain and roller, new water pump and balancer (since everything is apart you might as well replace these parts), thermostat and couple quarts of some crap oil.. I ran a couple quarts of the crappy stuff through just to get all the crud out that might have fallen into the pan.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Remove lifters before removing cam. Get a Chilton's, and cross-reference everything you do in that article with it. You'll find what lubricants to put where, etc.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

This is good help also: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techa...intakeswap.pdf
Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CantStopTheFox...

I am about to do the same thing...I am expecting my TrickFlow kit tomorrow...

Check out these instructions I found...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techa...intakeswap.pdf

I was going to leave the block in...but while I am down there, I might as well pay some attention to my 100k block. Nothing major, just going to have the bearings replaced, cylinders honed...and a new oil pump. I cannot wait!!
Probably not the best idea. Any metal work on a block or heads should be done w/ the parts off/out of the car so they can be cleaned correctly and completely. Just think....all that work to renew your motor and the metal shavings F-up your new bearings and cylinders.....
Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

yea im doing one right now and its a lotta work... and its 10 times easier to work on it if u take it outta the car.... if u dont have ne idea what your doing get some1 who does to help you

Quick Reply: How do you do an H/C/I swap?