5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Heater Core ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 07:21 PM
sykopafikjuggla
1st Gear Member

Default Heater Core ??

Ok im gonna ask this because in my life time (22 years) Ive had 2 mustangs. First I had a 92 GT which got totaled. Now I have a 91 Lx 5.0... now in the GT the heater core pretty much blew, had about half gallon of anti freeze on ground everytime i parked it. Now on the LX im currently driving, There isnt any anti freeze on the ground ever, and none in the engine compartment... and when i use my air you can smell the coolant. This is why I think its the heater core... Is this an ongoing issue with this body style.. and plus I had used the coolant system sealant in the LX which worked for about 3 weeks and now Im smelling the coolant again and the level seems to drop.. alot slower than before tho... Any suggestions.. and what process would I have to go in to replace the heater core
Old 11-27-2004, 07:50 PM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Heater Core ??

ya that sounds like the heater core in my car i never saw any antifreeze because it was dripping in the engine compartment onto the exhaust manifold and burning off. i just replaced mine last week and it took me about 5 hours cz it was my first time. the instrument bezel has to come off the spedometer cable has to be removed from the instruments the stering column has to be unboltedand drop into the seat, the middle console and arm rest has to be removed, the stereo has to be removed basically you have to strip your entire dash to get at the box. It's either a huge pain in the a$$ to you or your gonna have to pay someone big money to have it fixed, so i say if you think you can do it - go ahead

[IMG]local://upfiles/10536/6547E218AC1240E4B05F2AB5647C6D1B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-27-2004, 07:53 PM
sykopafikjuggla
1st Gear Member

aight thanks bro i think after winter ill just bypass the heater core
Old 11-27-2004, 07:53 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

i gotta do mine sometime... shouldnt be to bad since ive had most my dash aprat before anyways... it takes me like 10 minuts to get the whole speedo cluster and stuff out coz ive done it like 10 times.. but i never unbolted the steering colum or taken the dash out.... but i hope it dont take me 5 hours lol
Old 11-27-2004, 11:25 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

I bypassed my heater core, and im getting a small 12volt electric heater that i can plug in while it is warming up for 10 min. Although I am in SC so i only need to get rid of a little frost on the windshield not a foot of snow
Old 11-28-2004, 01:08 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

that's true, but the defroster can sure come in handy in damp humid weather or when it's raining also. I'd say fix the heater core myself even though it is a pain in the @$$ to get it out. then again, I do like to see where I'm driving! LOL
I left mine in the racer and have had to use it twice this year in late September when the heavy dew starts to settle down and fog up the windows, came in real handy!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:55 AM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

I was flushing my cooling system with a garden hose and decided to disconnect my heater core when i was twisting the hose to the heater core around so i could get the garden hose on it it pulled through the firewall thats my reason lol. So i bypassed it, Ill have to rip everything apart to get to the core from under the dash but im in no hurry.

One other thing about windshields fogging up. When the selector switch is put in defrost for the windshield vent to come on the AC compressor also turns on and off. AC removes humidity. This is the only position that runs the ac compressor.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:42 AM
MurPHy

I had the same problem with my '90 LX, and it turns out that the cooling system does not last very long when you don't flush it every now and then!

I had my local favorite auto mechanic (Carney's) replace the whole cooling system. New radiator, hoses, heater core, etc. They also had to discharge the A/C to get at the heater core. It cost about $450 total for them to do it.

I would have done it, but I don't have the proper tools. It sucks.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:46 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

lol, you really dont need "proper tools" its all basic philips and torque screws really, stuff you can buy cheap anywhere, i'd buy the tools if that was the only reason to take it to a shop, imo
Old 11-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

lol my 91 GT heater core is toast also heheh must be a ford problem.. Could be worse ,could own a Chevy!!!

Quick Reply: Heater Core ??