5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuel system upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default fuel system upgrades

I have heard that it would be a good idea to replace the stock fuel lines on my 94 gt before they fall apart and catch fire(seems to make sence). What other upgrades on the fuel system would be good to do since I have it down and apart? I figured the stock fuel pump would be good to replace but was not for sure, let alone what to buy? I also planned on adding a pressure regulator but didn't know what else would be good to do while I have it apart?

thanks........
Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: fuel system upgrades

what mods do you have? that would be helpful to know before we make any suggestions. also, ive never heard of the stock lines falling out and catching fire.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I heard after a decade that they tend to corrode?

At the moment the car is stock. shortly I amplanning on putting on a CAI, cobra upper and lower, MAF, TB and hopefully some 24# fuel injectors to start.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:02 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

just get a fuel kit from summit, comes with pump and new lines and all the fittings.....its not very expensive either, i was thinking of getting it.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:04 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Fuel lines will not corrode and do not need to be replaced unless physically damaged by impact or applied force. Also save you're money on the 'cai' and the 24's, you in no way need an injector upgrade untill you've changed the heads and or cam...the CAI is simply a waste of good money better spent on working modifications.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i have a cam....should i change my injectors or wait until i get the heads?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

cam with stock heads yeilds very very little gain...you definately don't need the upgrade untill you've added heads, even then most can run with stock injectors without issues.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

sounds good, and sorry to ttocs, i didnt mean to steal your thread, just related to a questions i've had too, thanks everyone!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:18 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

+1 To the injectors and the fuel lines. Rule of thumb is that stock injectors are good for 300hp (give or take). If you just have minor bolt ons you do not need injectors, save the cash and the installation hassle. As for the CAI, if you want the bling than go for it but there are alot of other things to spend that money on or put that money towards. The gain from an aftermarket CAI to the stock intake is very minimal and not worth the $150 dollars... if you are doing it for power, your looking in the wrong places.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:52 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I my next round up upgrades was going to be heads and a camandexhaust which is why I wanted to go with the 24# injectors. The MAF would need to be set for the proper injectors and I just want to do it right, and do it once.......

As for the CAI I am not going to blow the bank and get one that is too crazy. This car is a bit of a legacy for me as my mother was the original owner, I am not planning on ever selling it so getting parts is no hurry. I have been keeping my eyes open for good deals and got a set of pullies for $40, a cobra upper/lower intake for $150, I am probably going to pick up a 75 mm MAF today or tomorrow.

So am I the first to bring up the fuel lines? I thought I read about it here? What kind of fuel pump would you recommend?

Quick Reply: fuel system upgrades