5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I NEED HELP!!! Won't start and i dont know why

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I NEED HELP!!! Won't start and i dont know why

nope. go out and take a look at it. its right on the front of the distributor. its a little electronic box with a 6 wire connector. 2 small screws hold it onto the distributor.

the screw hole is usually smaller than the socket that is required to remove them, this is why you need the special socket, or take a regular socket and grind it down.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:27 PM
itsa87
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

the problem with computer controlled cars is that there is really NO way to tell if the ECU is bad, you have to eliminate EVERYTHING else first, and then guess when you replace the ECU.

I wouldn't say this is your problem. Are you sure your getting good spark all the way out to the plugs? I recently worked on a 91hatch that had a signal to the coil, but for whatever reason, the coil wouldn't send the spark out. Turned out the ignition module was bad. That was a first for me, I'd never seen that happen.

I had this same problem, then changed the coil 5 times and the module...It will drive for about a month sometimes less than boom, it stalls out and I will check the spark out of the coil and nothing but if I wait about 30 minutes it starts right back up and drives, no one can figure out the problem because it runs fine for a while.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:28 PM
fastblknotch

I guess while I'm in here, I might as well ask about another issue. Around 3000 rpms my car has this crazy vibration. Its not there at all before and not at all after. I don't think its motor related because wouldn't it get worse as the rpms go up? I hate to say it, but this motor runs about the smoothest at 6000 rpms
Old 04-20-2007, 02:29 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

is it an RPM vibration or a MPH vibration?

having a vibration only at a certain RPM is wierd...
Old 04-20-2007, 02:31 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

dude if you are going to swap dizzys then you can buy one with a new ign module already on it, i just swapped out for a new stock dizzy and put my new ign module on it from my old dizzy which i replaced, its easy,, just dont get your timing off when you swap out the dizzy
fastblknotch

not speed related at all. It is weird as hell
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: itsa87

ORIGINAL: mattdel

the problem with computer controlled cars is that there is really NO way to tell if the ECU is bad, you have to eliminate EVERYTHING else first, and then guess when you replace the ECU.

I wouldn't say this is your problem. Are you sure your getting good spark all the way out to the plugs? I recently worked on a 91hatch that had a signal to the coil, but for whatever reason, the coil wouldn't send the spark out. Turned out the ignition module was bad. That was a first for me, I'd never seen that happen.

I had this same problem, then changed the coil 5 times and the module...It will drive for about a month sometimes less than boom, it stalls out and I will check the spark out of the coil and nothing but if I wait about 30 minutes it starts right back up and drives, no one can figure out the problem because it runs fine for a while.
bad module, again. use some electronic jelly on the back of it this time.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastblknotch

not speed related at all. It is weird as hell
when you get this thing fired up again, get your timing light out, and watch the timing marks. if they are jumping around more than 2-3 degree's, suspect a bad balancer or a stretched out timing chain.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
itsa87
1st Gear Member

RPM? A motor mount?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Don't start throwing parts at it. Start by checking for spark. The fuel smell you're getting just means the unburnt fuel is evaporating into the atmostphere. Similar to flooding in a carbureted car. If you have that smell then it's probably not a fuel problem, rather a fire/spark problem.

Itsa87 - The fords with the distributor mounted Ignition modules are problematic because of the heat buildup. What you're describing is a classic symptom of an overheated ignition module. Ford has yet to address that problem with a real world fix. Go with an aftermarket Mallory or Accel system and your problem should be fixed. Ford has a MASSIVE recall and warning in early 01 (I believe it was) for cars dating as far back as '85 for this reason. (symptoms include stalling while driving or difficulty restarting unless car was allowed to sit and cool-down)

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP!!! Won't start and i dont know why