5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Harmonic Damper

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:17 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Harmonic Damper

how in the hell are you pulling the ring off???? the puller your using should be a Y shape looking thing that bolts onto the balancer

Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

This procedure should help you ID'ing what could be wrong.

the rubber bond is moving more than the damper.
The above shouldn't be happening, you should be "pulling it" from the center core......outer ring & rubber bond shouldn't be affected by the puller.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Keep cranking on the puller, even with my impact it took many hits to break it loose. As long as the washer is out it should eventually break loose. Are you still doing the front seal? I cant see doing that with the front cover installed, mine was a complete ***** to remove and install.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:25 AM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

I rented thepuller from an auto store. It has the same bolt slot pattern. THe bolts that came with the kit are these polished hex bolts. THey are weak. I have broken2 of them already.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:30 AM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

This procedure should help you ID'ing what could be wrong.

the rubber bond is moving more than the damper.
The above shouldn't be happening, you should be "pulling it" from the center core......outer ring & rubber bond shouldn't be affected by the puller.
Im doing exactly that. I have a manual. Mine isjust on there really good.I'm just going to go at it again tomorrow. Its dark and raining in chicago. Not fun.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 AM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

Keep cranking on the puller, even with my impact it took many hits to break it loose. As long as the washer is out it should eventually break loose. Are you still doing the front seal? I cant see doing that with the front cover installed, mine was a complete ***** to remove and install.
I was just going to do the harmonic balancer because after my last oil change I realize the rubber bond was sticking out and ripped alittle.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:39 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

if the botls are breaking they are probably the wrong ones, they should be hardened bolts.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:50 AM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

Im just using the ones that came with the kit. As for my earlier statement about the ring coming off more than the balancer, thats because I was trying to pull that off after 2 hours off using that damn puller. I need to accomplish something.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 PM
thedude
1st Gear Member

Buy a kit from summit. My came off easy. My car is 17 years old this was the first time its been removed. This should not be difficult.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:51 AM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

I got it off. I called a friend and he used his puller. It came off in 15 minutes. The puller I rented sucked as$. thank you to everyone that commented and tried to help. its amazing how fast things work with the right tool. I put a professional products damper. It idles smoother. thanks again for your posts.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Damper