5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

whats my next move?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:34 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: whats my next move?

i wouldnt get a chip ... could spend that money on pulleys and what ever else...
Old 12-07-2004, 01:58 AM
teamtech
1st Gear Member

do pulleys make a noticeable gain? i kinda figured id be holding off on the chip because if i plan on doing the engine, why waste money now on a chip when im going to have to reprogram it! come on guys nobody has really helped me yet, only given me more ideas!.....basically i want to go faster....my buddy is rebuilding his 5.0 and i cant let him beat me!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:10 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

pullys make your engine rev a little quicker, i wouldnt say i notice to much more pull...... if you wanna beat em.... spend a few hundred on a nos kit, u'll whoop his azz
Old 12-07-2004, 03:13 PM
teamtech
1st Gear Member

im reluctant to go the nos route because if heard some bad stuff.....can a stock engine easily handle nos? or am i looking for trouble in the future? i figured id have to do atleaset SOME engine work before i slapped on a nitrous kit. would you reccomend a dry kit, or wet?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
DarkDragon
1st Gear Member

im not sure if any 5.0's came with forged internals but a mild kit with stock fuel system should be ok but injectors,pump,rails,FPR wouldnt hurt just to be safe and then u could up the juice. On a stock engine a 60 hp kit should be ok i would think but i dont know the condition ur internals are in. With a nitrious kit colder plugs will be needed and advanced timing will need to be retured to stock timing since it can lead to detionation and the power lost from retarding timing will be more than made up by the nitrious. How is the MAC exhaust set up working for u heard they rusted out, how does it sound
Old 12-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Pre 93 come with forged pistons.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:44 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

I recommend a dry kit. Something like the 5115 NOS kit would be good. It is set at 75hp, but can be adjusted by purchasing the Stage 2 kit at a later date. Your engine has forged internals, so you should be fine. I have seen several stock-ish 5.0s spraying up to 150hp without any problems. When it comes to the sauce, being smart and have a good tune is of the utmost importance.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:52 PM
blowninjected
1st Gear Member

A stock 5.0 engine is well capable of handling a 125HP NOS System. When I first got my pony, I put a 125 NOS Sytem on it with the bone stock engine just with exhaust and gears and it held up fine. Then I added a supercharger with 8 lbs of boost, handled it like a champ. A few moths later, since I had completed a new stroker engine to transplant, I decided to try to blow up the five-o. I bumped the boost up to 10 lbs, 12,14 I must have had 200 hard passes total through the quarter before it finally went....
ORIGINAL: teamtech

im reluctant to go the nos route because if heard some bad stuff.....can a stock engine easily handle nos? or am i looking for trouble in the future? i figured id have to do atleaset SOME engine work before i slapped on a nitrous kit. would you reccomend a dry kit, or wet?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:50 AM
teamtech
1st Gear Member

im not sure if any 5.0's came with forged internals but a mild kit with stock fuel system should be ok but injectors,pump,rails,FPR wouldnt hurt just to be safe and then u could up the juice. On a stock engine a 60 hp kit should be ok i would think but i dont know the condition ur internals are in. With a nitrious kit colder plugs will be needed and advanced timing will need to be retured to stock timing since it can lead to detionation and the power lost from retarding timing will be more than made up by the nitrious. How is the MAC exhaust set up working for u heard they rusted out, how does it sound
So far its been fine, but its only been on for a year now....it sounds awesome! its nice and quiet when i driver her nicely, but if i lay into it, she screams! I love the way it pops and gurgles when decelerating. thanks for all the input guys, so lets assume i do get the nos kit, based on what you know what would be my approx 1/4 mile on street tires, maybe DR's? also i have the oppourtunity to buy an edlebrock rpm upper and lower intake for $500 canadian.....is it a good deal? its brand new. if i got it what else would i have to swap to make it work?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:16 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

how bout a cold air intake, pullies and a biger throttle body with the matching egr spacer. that shood wake ur car up. mine dynoed at 211 to the wheels with this setup and a 2.5 inch exhaust

Quick Reply: whats my next move?