5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

should i get new pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: should i get new pushrods

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

Interesting, my stock ones were 6.25" and thats the size i needed and got for the hardened ones. Might wanna double check yours. You should need ball ends on both sides of the pushrod, look at your stock ones, thats what mine were. As far as I could tell the trickflows were easily the best psuhrod for the money.
yea i took a mircometer to the pushrod an its 6.25... they tape measure i used must just be ****ty or w.e.... i was doin it in a dimly let garage so that could be it too lol
Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

what with do i need??? does it matter?? im gettin trickflow chromoly ball edged 6.250" but what with??
Old 04-26-2007, 12:16 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed

ORIGINAL: blacknotchbob

I use comp cams push rods, no problems with 555/565 cam. Never use the stock pushrods with upgraded cam/springs, they will bend. I know this from personal experience! Live and learn, and break some stuff along the way.
i like that saving... its funny a$$ ****... my cam isnt that crazy... its 517/520... but i do have 1.7 cobra rr... so i should help with lift
I certainly hope that your lift is calculated WITH the 1.7 RR's because if it isnt... your gonna need to do some notching... oh and.. I hope you clayed your motor before you torqued down those heads
Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Are you using guideplates in the heads? That should factor in the pushrod you buy.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 AM
94RedDevil
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: CrazyCobraSpeed

ORIGINAL: blacknotchbob

I use comp cams push rods, no problems with 555/565 cam. Never use the stock pushrods with upgraded cam/springs, they will bend. I know this from personal experience! Live and learn, and break some stuff along the way.
i like that saving... its funny a$$ ****... my cam isnt that crazy... its 517/520... but i do have 1.7 cobra rr... so i should help with lift
I certainly hope that your lift is calculated WITH the 1.7 RR's because if it isnt... your gonna need to do some notching... oh and.. I hope you clayed your motor before you torqued down those heads
Time out, i dont understand that term 'clayed'. could someone explain this to me so that i dont blow something up when i put mine back togather?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

i didnt clay mine adder... and i assume this is a method in which i put clat on top of hte piston to make you u have piston to valve clearence??? if so i shouldnt have a problem... i have thumper performance do the head work and i told mike that they were stock heads... also wont i notice clicking of metal to metal after i get all the lifters and push rods when when i spend the crank with a wrench... i was goin to do this to double check b4 i put the engine bak into the car... i dont have guide plates in the heads... at least i didnt pay to get ne put in and last time i check there didnt come on stock heads so to my knowledge i dont ahve guide plates... what size diamiter do i need??
Old 04-26-2007, 12:34 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

and yes adder that is the total lift... now that i read what i wrong it is worked rather badly... what i was tryin to say is that its a milder cam but hte lifters help me and jay allen also new i was using stock pistons and he had all the specs for the heads so everything should piece togehter relaly well
Old 04-26-2007, 12:34 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

In my last post i linked to the ones i got for my car, they are 5/16" diameter. If you're using the pedestal rockers you dont need guideplates.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:36 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

In my last post i linked to the ones i got for my car, they are 5/16" diameter. If you're using the pedestal rockers you dont need guideplates.
arent our cobras setup for petestal rockers?? i havent seen ne otehr kind of lifters so i dunno the difference[&:]... looks like a pedestal to me tho
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Stock Cobra rockers are pedestal mount. There is no difference in the lifters...

Quick Reply: should i get new pushrods