5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

problem starting.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:15 PM
straight_up

Default problem starting.....

Hey there, i was eating at a resturant then when i was finished walked out to my car, got in, tried to start it, and it made a clicking noise like the starter selenoid clicking...tried jumping it...didn't work, tried switching batteries....didn't work....when i would try to start it again it would click and then no power at all to the whole car...then afteraround 5 min i opened the car door and the dome light came on....tried to start it again...same thing the selenoid would click and the power would go out on the whole car, called a couple buddies to help me roll start it (talk about embarrasing when i firebird was reving his engine at me laughing, i wanted to be his azz so bad)got it home....think it was a ground problem so i replace the ground wire from the batt to the eng...checked the starter, changed the starter selenoid and load tested the battery....still does the same thing...one time I put the key in the on position and tried to roll both windows up at the same time and killed the power had to wait again and roll one window up at a time...has this happened to anyone or any advice...thanks guys..[&o]
Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: problem starting.....

nevermind.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:18 PM
straight_up

tried that..too nothin
Old 04-26-2007, 10:25 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I would check your grounds, make sure they are tight and not corroded, It seems like a main power or ground feed, try to google a wire diagram and it may help you find out where some of the components are located.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 PM
straight_up

ok yeah i might have to sand then down and put some dielectric grease on them
Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 PM
straight_up

i only know of two one on the rear of head drivers side (the little braided one and the one that i had replaced) should i make a new ground?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:38 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

If the grounds don't look good I would, or you could try it and see if it corrects your problem.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:40 PM
straight_up

yeah i'll try to clean 'em up and if that doesn't work i try to make a new one somewhere...hey thanks man...
Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 PM
koesterca1
2nd Gear Member

Check you positive battery cable. Make sure your getting full power to the starter solenoid..if not wiggle the cable around and see if the power comes through. The cable maybe broken internally.People never check the battery cables themselves.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:50 PM
straight_up

okay i'll try that but i check the positive cable and it looked okay...didn't know it could break internally though...

Quick Reply: problem starting.....