5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help with my Speedo, please

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Defender

Default Help with my Speedo, please

Hi guys. This is my first post, so I will hi.

Ok, enough chit chat. I have a 91 LX 5.0 which I have owned since it was new. The speedometer is the 140 model (which is good). The problem is that not only does my needle bounce around (which I dont really care about because it's been doing it for the last 5+ years and so I now drive with my tach), but it also rings (like a freakin bell, which is annoying as heck).

I have already pulled apart the cluster and what I have found is that the speedometer itself (bell thing, looks like some sort of potentiometer) is clanging against itself (somehow it's became bent). I've known about this for a while, but it's finally to the point of VERY ANNOYING.

Can someone point me in the direction of a fix for this, other than simply unplugging it? I am trying to kind of restore her years of wear and tear, and really need to start here.

Thanks in advance, Defender
Old 04-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help with my Speedo, please

Get a different cluster and lube your speedo cable. All you have to do is pull the cable (gently) out of the jacket, rub it with light-weight grease (vasoline works well if you're in a colder climate, I used synthetic brake grease on mine) and slide it back in. That's it. If the gauge is bent, you'll probably have to replace it or straighten it.

Lube the cable and see what happens would be my first suggestion.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 AM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

I picked up a cluster on eBay for $65...no ringing

But if you disconnected the speedo cable that comes from the tranny...it would stop. It would not work either

I would try Maxwelljse's suggestion about lubing it first...
Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Defender

Thanks guys.. Since it's not my cable, but in fact my speedo itself, I guess I will have to reaplce it (as I assumed). I certainly appreciate the E-Bay option, though I cant really say I care to deal with e-bay. I have tried searching the internet for replacement options, but simply can not find any.

Would anyone perhaps have some replacement options? I've even thought about going to a junk yark, though I dont know where any are at in the Phoenix area.

Peace, Defender
Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Check w/ the guys at AMP performance. They might have a used cluster for you. Ebay is my favorite place, but be cautious of the person you're buying from and ask any questions you have before commiting....