5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

4/5 pt harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4/5 pt harness

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

i agree with getting a fox that has an air bag.

if you want you can get a 6 point roll bar and put in a 5 point harness but it wont do much. the main hoop would be just behind the door. what happens if you get t-boned right into the door? it will be as if the hoop isnt even there. if anything, youll get hurt more because as the door slams into you, your body wont be able to be pushed away because the harness will be holding you in.

and at 19, why are you dad's paranoias effecting your decisions?
A 6 point does have a side bar so the door would slam into the bar. I wouldnt get swing out bars just for that same reason. I just went to Mustang Heaven (i called it that because the man has about 300 mustangs that are part cars and alot of them were in accidents) and some of them cars were f'd up. Ill be glad when i get my 10-point installed with x bars on the doors.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Having worked on an ambulance for a while, I can say airbags aren't really all that great. I know more people who were seriously injured by airbags(including firemen) than people who were prevented from serious injury by them. About the only thing an airbag does well is keep you from getting a distraction type fracture of the neck in a high speed frontalimpact(hangman's fracture, what killed Earnhardt). I understand your dad wants you to be safe, but he should also realize that you can get seriously injured in almost any vehicle. If you drive sensibly, you're no more or less safe in a Mustang than in most any other passenger car. It's not really the car that determines the severity of the injuries, but the type of accident. You could just get a big truck, or have him buy you a Hummer?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Mike14
1st Gear Member

No i am paying for everything (car), my basic question was would having a fox with 5 pt harness seats be comparable to a low 2k' car with newer airbags in a front collosion or rear collosion (tbones are just weird) does it keep your body glued to the seat so I dont smash into the windshield or something? And he effects my decisions because he is supporting 75% of my college funds and i still live at home so i cant just say screw it and buy my own crap ill be homeless for screwing him.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:14 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

A properly adjusted 5pnt harness will be better than a car with airbags and 3pnt belts. I've seen people with standard 3pnt seat belts and airbags going off still get ejected from cars, or tossed around inside. Passanger compartment intrusion is a different story, most cars go crunch pretty well, a roll cage can help reduce intrusion into the passenger compartment(which is why race cars have them, or are built on tube frame reenforcedchassis). For frontal impact you'd need a cage that extends to the front of the car down towards your feet, if you want to go that extreme. All things being equal though, 5pnts will be better in almost every situation compared to 3pnts and an airbag. Unless you hit something head-on at high speed, airbags are mostly useless. And a roll bar at least will help in a rollover.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

A properly adjusted 5pnt harness will be better than a car with airbags and 3pnt belts. I've seen people with standard 3pnt seat belts and airbags going off still get ejected from cars, or tossed around inside. Passanger compartment intrusion is a different story, most cars go crunch pretty well, a roll cage can help reduce intrusion into the passenger compartment(which is why race cars have them, or are built on tube frame reenforcedchassis). For frontal impact you'd need a cage that extends to the front of the car down towards your feet, if you want to go that extreme. All things being equal though, 5pnts will be better in almost every situation compared to 3pnts and an airbag. Unless you hit something head-on at high speed, airbags are mostly useless. And a roll bar at least will help in a rollover.
Have you ever tried to street drivea car in a PROPERLY adjusted 5 point? It's a total pain, the shifter can be hard to reach and many functions of the cars controls are actually hard to reach (like heater and defroster controls, radio etc). Also consider that a 5 point without a roll bar in a roll over accident is going to be more unsafe because the 5 point will hold you up in place causing you to be crushed. Technically 5 point race harness' are not DOT approved. I have said it many times on here and people still don't get it. A 5 point and a cage/barare just PARTS of a SYSTEM and will not perform like they are designed to unless all parts of that system are in place.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:09 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nick_thames

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

i agree with getting a fox that has an air bag.

if you want you can get a 6 point roll bar and put in a 5 point harness but it wont do much. the main hoop would be just behind the door. what happens if you get t-boned right into the door? it will be as if the hoop isnt even there. if anything, youll get hurt more because as the door slams into you, your body wont be able to be pushed away because the harness will be holding you in.

a correctly built 6 point doesnt have a door bar. a correct 6 point has 4 points on the main hoop (2 on the outside and 2 that run through the floor to the subframes) and 2 points in the rear.

and at 19, why are you dad's paranoias effecting your decisions?
A 6 point does have a side bar so the door would slam into the bar. I wouldnt get swing out bars just for that same reason. I just went to Mustang Heaven (i called it that because the man has about 300 mustangs that are part cars and alot of them were in accidents) and some of them cars were f'd up. Ill be glad when i get my 10-point installed with x bars on the doors.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Mike14
1st Gear Member

so a 4 pt harness and a overhead roll bar, one that goes behind the 2 seats you think I can get a foxxer safe?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:24 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I never said 5pnts weren't inconvenient, just that 5pnts and a roll bar is safer in MOST situations. And a harness without a roll bar is almost pointless anyway, since yes, it is part of a system. And if you get a harness you might as well get a 5pnt so you have a submarine belt to help prevent leg injuries. But like JD1969 said, don't plan on being able to adjust your heater/radio if you have a harness that's adjusted properly.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Mike14
1st Gear Member

yah im just looking for safety. Its a hard price to be cool with a muscle car and a dad as a firefighter i guess. Does anyone know of a decent race seat that is fairly comfortable with a harness or how do I do that. Can i use just a harness with stock seat or what?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:59 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You can use factory seats with a harness. Just get a rollbar with a crossbar in it and attach the shoulder straps to the crossbar. Make sure you can reach the shifter though. You might find it a PIA to drive with a bar/harness(personal preference), so you might also wanna look at a car with airbags if that's what your dad wants, just consider everything before you dive in.

Quick Reply: 4/5 pt harness