5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

running cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:06 AM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

Default running cold

new stat 180 and im still running on the letter L is this not to low for my 87 5.0 lx? and just fyi i replaced the clucth fan with a flex fan and since then i always run on the letter L should i go back to stock thermostat??

Ok so i get a good idea of what normal is let me know where yours reads on the normal gauge and what temp stat you got.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: running cold

L as in "normal" and the L being hot as hell???
Old 05-02-2007, 07:19 AM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kev2369

L as in "normal" and the L being hot as hell???
On the stock gauge it has the word normal as indicating "normal operating range" my needle stays on the L i was thinking this is to low and this could be why i see some black smoke out the flowmasters...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:26 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

[NORMAL] .... You're car running at 192/195 should be on the R... If you are running a 180, it should be approximately on the O.... If you're car is running on the L, it is running hot, maybe not i'd says that running around 230-240 range, which isn't good...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: strangebrew

new stat 180 and im still running on the letter L is this not to low for my 87 5.0 lx? and just fyi i replaced the clucth fan with a flex fan and since then i always run on the letter L should i go back to stock thermostat??

Ok so i get a good idea of what normal is let me know where yours reads on the normal gauge and what temp stat you got.
The flex fan isn't really for a great deal of cooling... It will only cool as fast as you're motor is turning... It even says on the box not to put them on motors that have very many cubes...

Are you using a shroud???

My personal opinion would to go with an electric fan setup... If not, i would DEFINATELY go back to the fan clutch... It is MUCH more efficient because the hotter it gets, the fast it will spin to help cool it off, where the flex fan only turns at engine speed
Old 05-02-2007, 07:39 AM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

lol lets start all over i have a 87 lx 5.0 the stock water temp gauge has the word normal on it right under the letter L is a number that says 130 and on top the letter N is a number 280 so now that we understand there is a diff in our gauge lay out am i running to low???
Old 05-02-2007, 07:43 AM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

The flex fan isn't really for a great deal of cooling... It will only cool as fast as you're motor is turning... It even says on the box not to put them on motors that have very many cubes...

Are you using a shroud???

My personal opinion would to go with an electric fan setup... If not, i would DEFINATELY go back to the fan clutch... It is MUCH more efficient because the hotter it gets, the fast it will spin to help cool it off, where the flex fan only turns at engine speed
ooo my god omg! a clucth fan cant spin any faster than the motor is spinning and a flex fan flatens out at high rpms ie highway driving when it dont realy need to jwdfnlkajwbdfl kquwbdflkuhbwsd forget it buddy
Old 05-02-2007, 07:47 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

lol lets start all over i have a 87 lx 5.0 the stock water temp gauge has the word normal on it right under the letter L is a number that says 130 and on top the letter N is a number 280 so now that we understand there is a diff in our gauge lay out am i running to low???
My fault completely, i'm visualizing the gauges in my car, which go left to right, and on foxes they are vertical... Yes, it is running a little low... It will hurt your fuel ecomomy a little because those cars are designed to run around 190 or so to be efficient... It wouldn't hurt to go with a 195 thermostat, even though you may see it fluctuate a little more with a hotter stat... You must be using a shroud on the setup cuz i've never seen anyone have very good luck with flex fans... On the other hand, too cool is better than too hot... I'd go with the thermostat, and if you're fuel mileage has changed, go back with the clutch setup or preferably the electric setup, which will let you set it to run at the exact temperature you want it, where as you are running the flex fan, it gives you no control on how it cools, it just runs the engine speed... Good luck
Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 AM
5.0 lou
2nd Gear Member

get a gauge!!!! lol
Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 AM
strangebrew
1st Gear Member

My fault completely, i'm visualizing the gauges in my car, which go left to right, and on foxes they are vertical... Yes, it is running a little low... It will hurt your fuel ecomomy a little because those cars are designed to run around 190 or so to be efficient... It wouldn't hurt to go with a 195 thermostat, even though you may see it fluctuate a little more with a hotter stat... You must be using a shroud on the setup cuz i've never seen anyone have very good luck with flex fans... On the other hand, too cool is better than too hot... I'd go with the thermostat, and if you're fuel mileage has changed, go back with the clutch setup or preferably the electric setup, which will let you set it to run at the exact temperature you want it, where as you are running the flex fan, it gives you no control on how it cools, it just runs the engine speed... Good luck

Its 3 am sorry for being so short....great reply now we understand each other lol yes im running a fan shroud should i not be? and what problems have you heard of before?

Quick Reply: running cold