5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how does thermotat temp rating effect performance? Is it a help to run a cooler one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how does thermotat temp rating effect performance? Is it a help to run a cooler one?

Yeah, I find it kinda funny how people change thermostats thinking it'll solve an overheating problem. That only works if the stat is sticking closed causing the overheat. But putting a cooler stat in an engine that runs too hot won't do jack to stop overheating.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:41 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how does thermotat temp rating effect performance? Is it a help to run a cooler one?

ORIGINAL: Twisted

I just did a 10 second google search, and found information like this:

"If the thermostat needs to be replaced, install one with the same temperature rating as the original. Most cars and light trucks since 1971 require thermostats with 192- or 195-degree ratings. Using a cooler thermostat (160 or 180) in an attempt to "cure" a tendency to overheat can increase fuel and oil consumption, ring wear and emissions. On newer vehicles with computerized engine controls, the wrong thermostat can prevent the computer system from going into closed loop resulting in major performance and emission problems if the engine fails to reach its normal operating temperature."

You cats may want to read up on this stuff before haphazardly bunging in a cooler thermostat. Just my $.02.
thats pretty interesting. Has anyone ever had a problem with running a 180° stat in their Mustang? I just got a 180, should i exchange it for a 195?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You prolly wouldn't notice unless you tore the engine down after like 100k miles and noticed that an engine with a cooler stat would have a larger ring ridge and more taper.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 PM
mustang5_0gt
2nd Gear Member

run a 180 i just got one 2 and thats wat im gonna run i brought up this topic before and theres alot of ppl using 180 and they have no problem. Someone was using a 160 and he didn't have a problem
Old 05-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang5_0gt

run a 180 i just got one 2 and thats wat im gonna run i brought up this topic before and theres alot of ppl using 180 and they have no problem. Someone was using a 160 and he didn't have a problem
It's not like you'd put in a 180* stat, and the car would break down. It would just cause more incremental wear over time. Maybe the amount of wear would be negligible...maybe not. But I sure wouldn't use my car to try and find out. I'd rather have longevity than the extra 3 hp...but that's just me.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:13 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

That incremental wear over time will also lead to more taper, so ring seal will suffer at the top of the bore, causing more blowby and oil consumption, REDUCING power in the long run. So yeah, longevity, vs a bit of extra power in the short run. Don't run a cooler stat unless you have a reason too, like detonation control from higherengine heat due to forced induction etc. Also a cooler stat can cause EFI problems, I've seen cars fail smog because of cooler stats. Is it really worth the 2rwhp that you'll never notice?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

10-15 degrees won't hurt anything. anymore and yes some wear can occur....the bad thing about the factory stats and alot of other is they don't start to open til 192-195 unlike say a mr gasket which will be fully open at the temp stated. if you have an automatic even a 10 degree drop in temps can add a ton of life to your trans.....today engines run a tad hotter do to confined engine bays...yes hotter oil temps can lead to a very small hp increase due to oil thinner to a point of a short distance....like qualifying for races...some people think the 192 temps is where contaminates get burned off
Old 05-02-2007, 09:46 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I am not happy with Mr. Gasket, I bought one of there 180 tstats and it always opened at 160 and stayed there.. So I said screw it, put in a stant 195 and my gas mileage went up and most importantly it worked perfectly.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:56 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

did you bother to see if it had a 185 stamped on it?....I don't put a stat in any one of my cars until I check to see when it opens in a pot of water at the right temp...it's that important to me..
Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

no i did not try the boiling pot of water, it was stamped with 180. I did not want to pay summit another 10.95 to ship it one way, and pay another 10.95 to ship it back, got to love the shipping and handling charges. I wanted the problem resolved asap and I would have had to buy another stat anyway just to ship it back.

Quick Reply: how does thermotat temp rating effect performance? Is it a help to run a cooler one?