5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 PM
EVO32
1st Gear Member

Default fuel pressure?

could some one please tell me what the pressure should be in the fuel rails of my 94 gt? i got the car about a month ago and just want to make sure that this part of the car is okay. i did the test today and got 32psi, does that seem about normal?

Also, could someone help explain why this is happening:
for some reason my engine likes premium fuel and with the other lower octanes (regular and super) it will ping. im pretty sure its from premature detonation. it happens in most gears at different RPMs but even more noticeable at lower RPMs and when the engine is under a strain like going up a hill. also (if it helps) i noticed that my spark plugs show the wear of running hot. could this have anything to do with the pinging and possibly could the fuel pressure in the rails have anything to do with the pinging?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: fuel pressure?

remove the vaccum line from the fuel pressure regulator and you should be between 38-41 psi

and as for the pinging... check your timing
Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 AM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

What does removing the vacuum line do? Mine is set at 38 at idle with the line on...
Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

The fuel pressure regulator is vacuum operated. When you remove the vacuum line then it acts like the car is at wot and increase the fuel pressure to the max amount. This way you can adjust your fuel pressure to max amount at wot. 38 at idle is way to high, should be around 32 at idle.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 AM
EVO32
1st Gear Member

i did do a timing test and it did not seem advanced. if anything it advanced 1/4-1/2 a inch when it was reved up. wouldent it move a lot more than that? Also, i did it with my dad who has rebuilt a few cars (69 GTO and a 31 Model A) and when he saw it he said it did not seem advanced that much. how much should i expect the engine to advance when i am doing a timing test?

so what could be causing me to have a lower fuel pressure? (32 instead of 38-41) old fuel pump, lines not that clean? it is a 94
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: EVO32

i did do a timing test and it did not seem advanced. if anything it advanced 1/4-1/2 a inch when it was reved up. wouldent it move a lot more than that? Also, i did it with my dad who has rebuilt a few cars (69 GTO and a 31 Model A) and when he saw it he said it did not seem advanced that much. how much should i expect the engine to advance when i am doing a timing test?

so what could be causing me to have a lower fuel pressure? (32 instead of 38-41) old fuel pump, lines not that clean? it is a 94
you dont measure advance in inches... you measure it in degrees...

take your car to a shop that has a clue and tell them you want you car set at 14° btdc
Old 05-04-2007, 12:18 AM
AngryFloppy

Not for nothin but isn't the base timing set at 10 degrees on those motors. 14 degrees is the most you want to advance it. Shouldn't you start at base first and make sure everything is kosher and work your way from there. Plus dont forget to pull the spout connector on the harness of the distributor or all your work is worth nothing
Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: AngryFloppy

Not for nothin but isn't the base timing set at 10 degrees on those motors. 14 degrees is the most you want to advance it. Shouldn't you start at base first and make sure everything is kosher and work your way from there. Plus dont forget to pull the spout connector on the harness of the distributor or all your work is worth nothing
there are people on this forum running 18° timing.. I run 15° myself
Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM
AngryFloppy

I totally understand that, but he seems to want to get his fuel pressure set good and he is pinging so I figure he should probably start out at base timing and work from there.An old trick is to bring the car to 2000 rpm and slowly start to bring the timing up, when the car starts to break up a little bring the timing back a couple degrees. Usually that will keep things in check.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:28 AM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Adder...what is the fuelpressure of your car at idle??

Quick Reply: fuel pressure?