5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Braydon619
3rd Gear Member

Default Starting Problem

I know this isn't the V6 section but i love this section and prefer the advice over alot of others.

Anyways my 95 v6 i bought awhile ago and have just finally started driving has been giving me some starting problems.... when you go to start it in the morning and push the clutch and try to start it seems to struggle. I hold the key for a few secs and it trys but just can't quite start.. then once i let go of the key and try again it goes fine. and it seems to do this after it sit for a few hours, it'll start fine if i turn it off and go into a store and come out. What do you think this could be? someone i know think it could be the fuel pump not delivering enough fuel.

Also i dunno if it's just how a manual drives or if my car just has to many KM's on it but when were cruising threw the city and i'm sittin in the passenger seat i seem to notice that you can really feel when the driver takes his foot off the gas and puts it back on... it just seems to jump or something everytime he puts his foot back on. What could that be? Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm also posting this in the V6 section for comments.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:46 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Starting Problem

starter might be on its way out
Old 05-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

Troubleshooting Intermittent Engine Problems, Larry Carley, August 2003
Old 05-05-2007, 07:53 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

it actually could be fuel pump, crank it once then try again and it starts right away, yeah, a crappy fuel pump made car i had act like that,i think thats its very possible since pressure stay in the fuel lines for a while after u have been driving and it slowly disapates after the car sits, so if its not pumping like it should its taking a minute to get enough fuel to start. get a bottle of seafoam and put it in your tank, best stuff out there and replace your fuel filter as well it could be the cause to a degree, kinda plugged making the pump struggle
ORIGINAL: Braydon619

I know this isn't the V6 section but i love this section and prefer the advice over alot of others.

Anyways my 95 v6 i bought awhile ago and have just finally started driving has been giving me some starting problems.... when you go to start it in the morning and push the clutch and try to start it seems to struggle. I hold the key for a few secs and it trys but just can't quite start.. then once i let go of the key and try again it goes fine. and it seems to do this after it sit for a few hours, it'll start fine if i turn it off and go into a store and come out. What do you think this could be? someone i know think it could be the fuel pump not delivering enough fuel.

Also i dunno if it's just how a manual drives or if my car just has to many KM's on it but when were cruising threw the city and i'm sittin in the passenger seat i seem to notice that you can really feel when the driver takes his foot off the gas and puts it back on... it just seems to jump or something everytime he puts his foot back on. What could that be? Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm also posting this in the V6 section for comments.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Braydon619
3rd Gear Member

hmm ok, is a fuel pump expensive to buy and replace if it is?

anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:32 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

have no clue with these description
ORIGINAL: Braydon619

Old 05-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Braydon619
3rd Gear Member

i don't know how else to explain it besides that it is hard to start after it's been sitting for a bit but fine if it's only been sitting a few mins.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:49 PM
racingboy
2nd Gear Member

It wont be the starter, if your motor is turning over your starter works because it's job is to do that it doesn't care if the motor runs or not.

First off check that your fuel pump works, depending on what you have for an injection system you may be able to just look to see if your motor is getting fuel. Basically you either have a problem with your motor getting fuel/air/or timing. So check your timing first it's the easiest. Make sure there are no blockages to your injectors for air. To be honest I hate fuel injected systems and don't know a lot about them. I know that if this was a fox body mustang there'd be about 10 different things all relating to your fuel injection system (from the fuel pump on) that'd cause it, that's why I'm going to a carb right now. Can't be bothered. Basically make sure your motor is getting fuel and air in the right amounts for it to start and your timing is good and you should be off to the races.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:41 PM
rhein
1st Gear Member

If you turn the key from the off postion to the run position (not to start) you should hear a quiet whine coming from the back of the car. That's the fuel pump presurizing the system. The pump runs for like 15 seconds, then shuts off ( the sytem should be presurized by then). If the fuel pump is weak, and you go right from off to start, then the pump might not have enough capacity to build up the necessary pressure, and you'll have to crank it twice.

On other possible problem is the relay for the fuel pump - I had a ranger a LONG time ago that all of a sudden developed a hard start / No start/ stall problem - traced it down to no fuel, so replace the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump and STILL had the problem. Tested old pump with battery, pump worked fine. Took it to stealership, and they looked at it. It took about 30 minutes but the tech determined the relay was failing intermittenly, causing the fuel pump not to work. Replace relay, all was good (and that's how I found out about the pre presurising the fuel system)

Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Braydon619
3rd Gear Member

Hmm ok thanks everyone that has helped alot. also do you think those problems could be related to the car feeling so wierd when you push in and let out on the gas?