5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

takin care of it once and for all

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:20 PM
shibby_cbs
2nd Gear Member

Default takin care of it once and for all

so after work today im gonna be doing a few things to the stang...its been a long time comin but i got nothin better to do so i have a few questions

1. im going to be replacing the seal where the driveshaft goes into the transmission...is this possable for me to do with just a floor jack and your standard socket and wrench set and how difficult is this...i will also be replacing the fluid...what do i need and where can i get it?

2. while im doing number 1 i figured id replace my U joints...need to rule them out as my vibration problem...once again is this possable with your everyday tool set?...is there an easy way to tell if they are bad?...do i need high quality ones or will autozone specials do the trick?

3. the rearend is leakin fluid somethin auful but i dont think im ready to tackle this yet so i think im just gonna top off the fluid...what fluid do i need and how do i get it in there?

answers to any of these questions would be awsome...i wont be back on to check this till about 5 so ill reply to any questions then...thanks guys!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:30 PM
racingboy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: takin care of it once and for all

Uh, try putting 75/90 into the rear end, works for me.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:31 PM
rhein
1st Gear Member

Don't know about the 1st one, but here's my take on the second one:

Step 1: Take the front bolts holding the shaft to the transmission out.
Step 2: Take the back bolts holding the shaft to the axle out.
Step 3: Remove shaft from under car, wrap it up in some rags (so you don't make a mess) get in your other car, and take shaft to driveline shop.
Step 4: Pay driveline shop to replace ujoints and balance shaft
Step 5: Install is the reverse of steps 1-3

For Number 3:
Drive to Lube shop: Pay to have them top off rear end (doing it from under the car CAN be done, but it's going to be messy).

If you want to do 3 yourself:
You need to find the fill plug, get all four wheels in the air (the car should be level).
Pump the proper fluid (probably 80-90 hypoid gear oil, check your manual) into the hole until it's full to the bottom of the hole.
Replace plug, and your done.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:45 PM
shibby_cbs
2nd Gear Member

im poor so everything is d.i.y. keep that in mind...thanks for the suggestions tho rhein...i do need to get the shaft balanced tho
Old 05-05-2007, 03:14 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

your gonna need a big hammer, a skinny bar, and snap ring pliers to get the ujoints out
Old 05-05-2007, 03:21 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

i have motorcraft 75-125 in my rear drives so much nicer now
Old 05-05-2007, 03:42 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

changing your rear fluid is easy. take all the bolts out of the cover execpt the top one just losen that one a little. make sure you have a catch pan under neither the rear. get a flat head screw driver under the cover and pry open. let the fluid drain then take the cover off all the way. let it sit for 5 minutes or so to let everything drain out. clean off the cover and the rear where the gasket goes. use black rtv on the cover then put the cover back on let sit for another 5-10 minutes so it dries enough that you can get fluid in. make sure you get the limited slip additive. fill rear with 75-125 synthetic motorcraft fluid works great in mine.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:46 PM
rhein
1st Gear Member

im poor so everything is d.i.y. keep that in mind...thanks for the suggestions tho rhein...i do need to get the shaft balanced tho
I hear you, but it wouldn't hurt to call around - one problem you MIGHT run into is that you get the shaft out, start mucking around with it, and then you can't get it apart or back togther AND you screw something up in the process - happend to my father in law on his Jeep - He and a buddy were doing it, and both are FULLY capable of doing it, but ended up bending something (don't recall what) so he had to take it to the shop. Ended up costing him more than it would have had he just taken it (the shaft) in and had it done.

You might be suprised - you might find out if you take the shaft out yourself and take it somewhere, it might be less than you imagine.....

And like mattdel said, you'll need a hammer, bar, and snap ring pliers and I would argue a good work bench and a vice.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:57 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shibby_cbs

so after work today im gonna be doing a few things to the stang...its been a long time comin but i got nothin better to do so i have a few questions

1. im going to be replacing the seal where the driveshaft goes into the transmission...is this possable for me to do with just a floor jack and your standard socket and wrench set and how difficult is this...i will also be replacing the fluid...what do i need and where can i get it? Yes, you will be able to use a socket set, but a box end wrench, 12mm, will come in handy on removing the drive shaft. Use a straight screwdriver to remove the seal. Hardest part is reinstalling the new seal, but should be no real isse...take your time and try not to ruin your new seal. Use ATF fluid in your tranny. Drain it, pull your fill plug on the passenger side, just above your drain, and use a pump to fill it back up till it starts to spill out. You could also remve your shifter and fill from there till it starts to spill out the fill hole.(this is for a manual tranny BTW)

2. while im doing number 1 i figured id replace my U joints...need to rule them out as my vibration problem...once again is this possable with your everyday tool set?...is there an easy way to tell if they are bad?...do i need high quality ones or will autozone specials do the trick? If they a lose, they are bad, you will have to wiggle them around to find out...easy to see. I would step up and get a better U joint if you are going to do it.

3. the rearend is leakin fluid somethin auful but i dont think im ready to tackle this yet so i think im just gonna top off the fluid...what fluid do i need and how do i get it in there? there is a fill hole on top of the housing, kind of behind the cover on the driverside?? maybe. I use a 90 wt gear oil...Valvoline

answers to any of these questions would be awsome...i wont be back on to check this till about 5 so ill reply to any questions then...thanks guys!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 03:59 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shibby_cbs

I would wait to do the U joints and just send it in and have it balanced and new U joints at the same time. I think it will cost you around $100 to have it done.

Quick Reply: takin care of it once and for all