5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:50 PM
mike.0621

Default Mustang hesitation

I have a 1987 5.0L GT with a manual transmission full flowmaster exhaust and trickflow track heat intake. the engine is still speed density. When i accelerate under light throttle the car operated pretty smooth, as soon as i give it half throttle it feels like it is being held back and then i floor it and it will back fire a couple of times and jerk a bit and then it will take off like it should. I have had this problem for way too long and can not seem to work it out. If anyone knows what it may be or at least some things to check that would be great!!!!
Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Go Roush
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang hesitation

Sounds like what my bird did, with timing off a little. A guess, anyway.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
mike.0621

I have the timing all set, i spent about 45 min making sure it was perfect. but even with the same throttle it will seem to feel fine and then it gets a jump of power and then it will go back to fine??????? it has got me baffled
Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

I would like to know the answer to this as well, mine does the samething, not all the time though.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:11 PM
cbennett
3rd Gear Member

that huge intake might be confusing the computer?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: mike.0621

I have a 1987 5.0L GT with a manual transmission full flowmaster exhaust and trickflow track heat intake. the engine is still speed density. When i accelerate under light throttle the car operated pretty smooth, as soon as i give it half throttle it feels like it is being held back and then i floor it and it will back fire a couple of times and jerk a bit and then it will take off like it should. I have had this problem for way too long and can not seem to work it out. If anyone knows what it may be or at least some things to check that would be great!!!!
Thanks
Have you recently done anything to the motor?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:32 PM
mike.0621

I was having this problem before i put the big intake on and it firt started happening when it was raining. when the roads were really wet so i figured it had to be electrical, so i replaced the dist cap, rotor, plugs and wires and thought that it was fixed until it rained again and it was still happening so i put a new MSD coil on and it still didn't help so i replaced the module on the distibutor and it is still there so i replaced the engine ground and it didn't help at all and it seems to be getting worse, now it happens even when it is not raining but not all the time, i am about ready to change the whole wiring harness!!! The worst part about it is it only happens under load when driving so it is very hard to find when you are under the hood!!
Thanks for the input
Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

have you checked the baffle inside the fuel tank? it would prevent gas from flowing freely to the pump when you nail it, if it was broken off.

common problem on our cars.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

Have you had it tuned?

The fuel tank is a good guess as well. I went to fill mine up and it was one of those gas stations that you can still lift the handle so I put the handle down and decided to pump some more out of it until it stopped and gas came out of my tank - :P

I have been told that baffle might be my issue as well. I am looking to get a new tank soon.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:14 PM
mike.0621

I replaced the stock fuel pump a month ago with a 155LPH one and a friend of mine told me the same thing so i checked it when i was in there and it all seems good.
[&o][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Quick Reply: Mustang hesitation