5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

First Engine Build! any help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:58 PM
JohnCalvin
1st Gear Member

Default First Engine Build! any help appreciated!

Building a 302 roller for my 66! This is my first build and I'm beyond excited! OK.. so here are my questions! any help or even suggestions for my first build is very appreciated!

Here's my basic build... Some parts may sound odd... but they are things i already have from past endevours...

Currently have
86 5.0 HO roller short block...
crane Hyd roller lifters, spiders and hold down
110 gph mechanical fuel pump
650 speed demon
edelbrock rpm heads
edelbrock rpm manifold
summit 1.7 lifters (Got these from a buddy, figured why not, use the stock cam and increase lift a bit, for now... step up to a new cam someday)
msd distributor
msd 6al
msd blaster 2
performance rebuilt C4
oil pump, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, etc...

I'm confused about which oil pan will fit... needs to be front sump to fit in my 66 but past that i'm running into ones that say 1 piece or 2 piece main seals... does that matter? I'll probably just buy one off ebay.. any suggestions what to look for.

I also need a flexplate and damper... I want to use the bellhouse off my current 289 engine.. all original... so i've been told that holds the smaller 157t flexplate... is this correct? So i'll need a 157 50oz flexplate? With Damper i need a 50oz... but the 3 and 4 hole confuse me... which do i need?

Is there anything else any of you could give me advice with? Anything you think i'll screw up on or need to know? Thanks all for your time!!! If you all are helpful i'll post pics of the whole build, old engine removal and new engine install... oh yea.. never done that before either, so any advice there is also very very appreciated!!!

I also posted this under classic mustang because its going in a 66 mustang... I'm sorry if i shouldn't have double posted, wasn't sure where to put the post... if inappropriate let me know and i'll delete one immediatly!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:14 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: First Engine Build! any help appreciated!

you mean 1.7 rocker arms not lifters

you may have some problems using the 86 bottom end, are there valve reliefs in the pistons?? (eyebrow looking things) that was an oddball year for ford, and if those are the 86 pistons theres a very good chance your going to have ptv issues (piston to valve)
Old 05-09-2007, 06:19 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: my77stang

you mean 1.7 rocker arms not lifters

you may have some problems using the 86 bottom end, are there valve reliefs in the pistons?? (eyebrow looking things) that was an oddball year for ford, and if those are the 86 pistons theres a very good chance your going to have ptv issues (piston to valve)
+1 the 86 block is going to be your downfall.. try to find a 87-92 block
Old 05-09-2007, 06:54 PM
JohnCalvin
1st Gear Member

LOL, yes i know rocker arms... that's what i get for trying to type quickly at work! Thanks, i'll avoid the 86 block... i was talking to a guy that had one but i guess i'll find another one... How would a short block from a place like these be? www.wholesale-engines.com I'm not going to be racing or dragging or anything with this engine... just putting around on the weekends... The heads will fit... they have the smaller intake valve specifically designed forstock pistons. Thanks for all help so far!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

just to clarify the 86 BLOCK is fine, its the stock style PISTONS that would give you trouble. if its getting rebuilt then you can put regular pistons that have the reliefs in them. best bang for the buck pistons are probably the federal mogul coated skirt hyper flat tops. i got mine with perfect circle moly rings for like 120 bucks or so.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
JohnCalvin
1st Gear Member

Thanks again... yea i'm going to step up to the hyper pistons just for security or mind... even though this engine will most have a real tough life. So can i fit my 289 oil pan on a late model 5.0??? Seems like a silly question to me... but for the life of me I've searched all over and can't find a straight answer!! I don't want to have to get the late model oil pan because it's dual sump and i've changed around the steering in my car and i'm afraid the dual sump will interfer! Like i said... seems like a straight forward question but i can't get an answer!? Happy driving to you all!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:48 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i ALL depends on how the motor is sitting in the car. since you have changed the rack, you'll have to set 'er in there and see if it hits or not. but the 289 oil pan will BOLT up to the motor no problem. is the car clearance that may bite ya.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

man don't get those hypo piston...spend a few buxk and get some forged ones.....if nos is in your furure have the pistons coated with attention to the skirts...I would also fly cut those pistons to insure clearance and to get room for a cam change.. and those heads being a 2.02 valve..gotta think a lil ahead when starting from a clean slate...also I hope you got a water pump for a late model...you might what to get a 7qt pan for that badboy
Old 05-10-2007, 12:16 AM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

I've got a 65 with a stroker and 5 speeed so I've been through a lot of this.You need a front sump 1 piece rear main seal pan. If it had a 289 in it you could use the old one. I dunno bout the flexplate but u definitely need 50 ozes on both sides. The 3 or four bolt depends on what pulley u are using. If you are using the older style pulley then u need the 3 bolt dampner. If you have n e more specific questions don't be afraid to ask me. I've been through 3 small block swaps in this car in the last 4 years. I know it from top to bottom. You will run into problems on the front side of the motor but nothin too bad. Just remember to use all ur 66 accesories including the water pump. Late model are revers flow because of the serpentine system. Also the balancer on late models are thicker which means pulleys probably won't line up.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:17 AM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

BTW there is no way in hell a dual sump will fit

Quick Reply: First Engine Build! any help appreciated!