5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

g'dammit!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 05:14 AM
5_liters
2nd Gear Member

Default g'dammit!

dammit. i just came to the realization that i really dont want to dink around with my 302 and make gradual "here and there" dinky little mods to it, spending thousands of dollars struggling to break 300 rwhp and the mid 12's.

i may be new to the game but the desire to move around this earth like a speed demon striaght out of hell with his *** on fire has been in my blood since i was a tot.

anywho, what i'm really trying to say is that i want a f***in screamer that at WOT sounds like it wants to eat the whole world, with 450hp plus, but i still want my 95gt cause i love it and dont want anything else, AND i want to spend the least amount of money and time to get it.

so i've come up with two paths to take (possibly another you could suggest?) :

save up a couple of grand to

a ) stroke her out to a 347 with forged internals

b ) swap a carbed 351W or 351C

its either this or do as most 5.0 brothers do :

- save up a couple hundred bux
- make a small mod
- repeat
- eventually run low 13's [&o]

at the point of completion for the swap or the stroke, THEN i would start saving a couple hundred bux here and there to make MUCH more fruitful mods to my now much bigger *** engine (i.e - big cam, big heads, big intake and maybe even eventually a custom twin turbo) but not even making any mods i'd smoke a slightly modded 5.0 right?

[sm=goodidea.gif] ? [sm=badidea.gif] ?

[sm=smiley20.gif]? [sm=smiley21.gif] ?

do it? dont do it?

more reasons why or some reasons why not?

you got your head in the right direction / your a flaming moron?

any responses and/or suggestions greatly appreciated!

thanks
Old 12-16-2004, 05:22 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: g'dammit!

there is no reason to stroke a stock block. its a bad platform to increase displacement IMO. just buy a shortblock and heads/intake, swap accessories and be done with it for under 3500. 331 stroker shortblock that is.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:42 AM
5_liters
2nd Gear Member

i can get an aftermarket brand new shortblock and build absolutely everything i need for it including some powerful aftermarket heads and intake for under 3500 dollars???
Old 12-16-2004, 06:35 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

dude, look at it like this... you have all the accessories already on your car, like alternator, water pump, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump. etc... all you need to do is buy a shortblock for 2500, heads for 1000 and swap accessories. you might need to get an intake for 350 so make it 3850. youll be straight if you can find a shortblock for like 2200. its not that expensive, 5.0s are really inexpensive unless you are running high numbers.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you can easily stroke your stock block. most kits on the market use a production 302 block for their strokers. as for the larger 351 you will have more issues then we will in a fox body. running 13s is only a few bucks ppl just need to be aggressive and learn how to drive. making 450 hp is easy and can be done for a few dollars. spray is very easy to get you in that neighborhood. you dont need to dump thousands into your car to make it fast. HP isnt everything, you can go fast by putting that pig of a car of yours on a diet. remove any unneeded weight. big cam, big heads, and large intake can hurt performance. alot of ppl go to large hell i seen GTP heads go 11s unported and seen twisted wedge heads go 13s. so spending large dollars on parts that are top of line isnt needed. depending on what you do a JYTT setup can be done for a few dollars. got a buddy that did it for 1200 bucks the first time. he went mid 11s on that setup. you can view his numbers on turbomustangs.com look in the ride section and look for Rob with the yellow foxbody.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

man, im sorry to do this but your wrong in everyway when you talked about stock block. if you got a good low mileage motor you can swap out cranks and rods and have yourself a 327. Stock blocks is what they use when you buy a stroker short block. Unless ppl are shooting for large numbers there isnt no need for a sportsman,dart or R blocks. these blocks are for high numbers and cost big money. these blocks are casted like stockers. a stock block can with stand numbers in the 500s. boosted motors on the other hand that is the limit before they spilt down the webbings. No a girdle wont prevent cracking it just holds **** together.
ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

there is no reason to stroke a stock block. its a bad platform to increase displacement IMO. just buy a shortblock and heads/intake, swap accessories and be done with it for under 3500. 331 stroker shortblock that is.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

you misunderstood me. stock motor can indeed handle 500 HP when properly built. but it is not a good platform if you want power adding with stroking. he says he wants to stroke the block which is ok with a stock one, but stroking a stock block, boring it and buying the kit plus paying someone to install it will cost as much as a shortblock from DSS. if you install the kit yourself you better be a professional and i assumed he is not a professional engine builder. you jump to conclusions, relax its just the internet.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

how you figure, block you have- kit 1,000-machine work and assmbling 500 bucks. so i can get a dss block for 1500? thats sometime i didnt know

you misunderstood me. stock motor can indeed handle 500 HP when properly built. but it is not a good platform if you want power adding with stroking. he says he wants to stroke the block which is ok with a stock one, but stroking a stock block, boring it and buying the kit plus paying someone to install it will cost as much as a shortblock from DSS. if you install the kit yourself you better be a professional and i assumed he is not a professional engine builder. you jump to conclusions, relax its just the internet.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

the 1000 dollar kit you are talking about is probably a summit stroker kit. those cant handle more than 350 horse since they come with cast cranks and ****ty hyper pistons. a better kit that can hold up to around 500 horse will be around 2000. so is it worth it do go through the hassle of buying that kit, paying someone to bore, stroke and install the kit when you could just buy a shortblock and reuse all your other accessories with a brand new block and assembly for the same price? its just what i think he should do, doesnt mean its written in stone dude.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

rebuilding your motor and buying a new one will still use all the same accesorries. stock bottom end found and any production 302 will take 500 hp. those Hyper pistons have been know to hold up also. go visit Turbomustangs.com and do some research on what some production parts can hold up to. its not the rotating assembly that messes up its the casting of the block and where it cracks in the webbings

the 1000 dollar kit you are talking about is probably a summit stroker kit. those cant handle more than 350 horse since they come with cast cranks and ****ty hyper pistons. a better kit that can hold up to around 500 horse will be around 2000. so is it worth it do go through the hassle of buying that kit, paying someone to bore, stroke and install the kit when you could just buy a shortblock and reuse all your other accessories with a brand new block and assembly for the same price? its just what i think he should do, doesnt mean its written in stone dude.

Quick Reply: g'dammit!