5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rocker Arm/ Push Rod

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default Rocker Arm/ Push Rod

ok im pretty sure i got the #1 cylinder TDC. i want to tighten down the rocker arms and im preety sure its called setting the valve lash. when you feel a (little or alot?) of resistance on the push rod then u go one half turn right? what do i need to do to adjust every rocker arm after the ones on cylinder #1?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:31 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Default RE: Rocker Arm/ Push Rod

don't you just rotate the enigine over for every other cylinder?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:28 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

come on people i kno u got answers!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:36 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

If you are running stud mount roller rockers, start with cylinder #1. Turn the engine til the intake on cylinder one opens and closes and the exhaust side opens, the spin the push rod on the intake side until you can't spin it with you're fingers... Then you tighten it.... I tighten mine not quite 1/2 a turn, but close... I'm sure everyone does this different, but it better to be loose than tight cuz you can burn the valve if its overtightened... Anyways, after you adjust the intake side, spin the motor until you know that there is no lift on the exhaust side, then tighten the same way... Its recommended to go in the firing order, I do, some don't... But that's the way i've had the most success with it... Good luck
Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

thanks alot man im gonna work on it in the morning. yeah i got stud mount w/ roller rockers...is it true the roller rockers are noisy? like how bad is it if its true?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:43 AM
tplwhitegt
1st Gear Member

The firing order is 1.3.7.2.6.5.4.8 ---------start with cylinder 1at TDC on compresion stroke, tighten the rockers to your liking, everyone has their own way ----then rotate the crank 30 degrees, then tighten cylinder 3, then rotate another 30 degress and tighten cylinder7 then another30 degress then tighten cylinder2 you see.follow that order paying attention to the rockers on each cylinder when they move and even out.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:56 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

I don't know anything about 30 degrees, but if I were you I'd do it this way, for simplicity:
I'm assuming your lower intake is off. Make sure you're on #1 TDC on the compression stroke, which means that both lifters will be at the very bottom of their travel. LIGHTLY twirl the pushrod between your fingers with one hand, and slowly turn the nut on the rocker arm. As soon as you feel it stop (remember, with LIGHT effort), you're at zero lash. Turn the nut 1/2-3/4 turn, and tighten down the locking allen head (make sure the nut doesn't move when doing this). Rotate the crank 90* clockwise and repeat for the next cylinder in the firing order. Don't go off of how much you rotated the crank, but that'll get you close. Just look at the lifters
Old 05-11-2007, 04:00 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

They're noisy if they are loose... Otherwise, you can hear them moving if you are under the hood, but lightly...Its not gonna sound like a gear drive timing chain or anything if thats what you are worrying about... I can't hear mine at all cuz of the charger, (which is in the process of coming off starting tonight), but considering the more motion in the setup, you may hear a little noise.... But like i said, under the hood only
Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 AM
tplwhitegt
1st Gear Member

LTnone you are correct it is 90* rotation not 30* sorry for the confusion I am just trying to help. I start paying close attention to the next set of rockers inthe firing order at about 30* rotation, thatis when they will start to move and be very noticableandkeep turning until they even out this wil end up being 90*. This was allassuming his lower intake is on with no visual of the lifters.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:15 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

I do one side of the motor at a time. When the intake rocker is at max lift, it is safe to tighten the exhaust valve rocker on that cylinder, and when the exhaust valve is at max lift, it is safe to tighten the intake rocker.

But if you got stock pedestal mounts, just tighten them down. Doesnt matter when.

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm/ Push Rod