5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Converting to MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 12:41 AM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Default Converting to MAF

A friend of mine told me that a lot of people who attempt to convert there car, end up having their cars run like ****? is this true? and if so is there a way to do it that will surely work? thanks
Old 12-17-2004, 12:50 AM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Converting to MAF

MAF deals with everything from the injectors to the ECU. I recommend a professional install, because ive heard those swaps can be a little tricky tricky.

I have to ask though, if you are converting, why?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:01 AM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Redline03GT

MAF deals with everything from the injectors to the ECU. I recommend a professional install, because ive heard those swaps can be a little tricky tricky.

I have to ask though, if you are converting, why?
Im converting b/c the mods I want to are better with MAF, people tell me its safer than staying SD, more input would appreciated!
Old 12-17-2004, 01:08 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

go with MAF for sure, you have to know what youre doing tho. you obviouslt need a new ECU. when you get the MAF get a aftermarket one too but make sure its calibrated for your injectors.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:55 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the Ford racing MAF conversion kit is a simple plug in install after you remove the stock ECU and replace it with the one in the kit. costs about $600 bucks or less depending on where you buy it but it should be easy to do and reliable also. it's when you start trying to take one out of a junker and swap it in that you run into problems.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:54 AM
Pynch

What would be the easiest way to tell if your running MAF or SD? I just bought the car and have no clue what the mods on it are. Its got a new Fuel rail, looks like some kind of CAI setup on the passenger fender... other then that i dont know what to look for to tell if the car is MAF or SD.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:26 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

look at the intake air tube going to the throttle body for a MAF installed in it with some wiring harness going off of it back to the firewall area. if there ain't one there then you have speed density. speed density went away in '88 on cars in CA and '89 all all cars after this.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:08 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

What about the kit from Summit, the Ford one? Is that the exact kit from Ford or is it just a frankenstien one? I was talking to another tech at work the other day and he said the Ford come with the complete harness so that you don't have to splice into the PCM connector, but the Summit one is just the brand new ford PCM tubes etc and harness that you splice in the PCM connector. What can you tell me?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:30 PM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

the Ford racing MAF conversion kit is a simple plug in install after you remove the stock ECU and replace it with the one in the kit. costs about $600 bucks or less depending on where you buy it but it should be easy to do and reliable also. it's when you start trying to take one out of a junker and swap it in that you run into problems.

Wasnt looking to spend that much but if its gonna work and work right then i guess ill have to. Where can I find this kit? LOL im gonna have to spend 800 dollars and a freaking MAF this sucks *****
Old 12-17-2004, 06:04 PM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

u can find it in the ford racing catalog or i think u can get it a lot cheaper from steeda

Quick Reply: Converting to MAF