5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New Mustang -- put on the parts or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:06 AM
sakislayer

Default New Mustang -- put on the parts or wait?

Hey everyone -- New to the forum and to Mustang ownership. I'm purchasing a 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible that is in GREAT condition. Original owner is a friend of mine and hasgaraged it and it hasnever has seen rain, snow, ice....

Here's my question for you..... The guy I'm buying it from purchased a bunch of parts for it as he was going to rebuild it. It has new GT40 aluminum heads, new intake, new injectors, new head bolts, new fuel pump, new ceramic headers, etc, etc etc. Too much stuff to list to be honest. Basically -- everything you need to redo the top end of the motor. My question is -- should I put all of that on the current motor as is (it has 140K on it), should I have the lower end re-done and then put it on, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new bottom end and put the parts on that? Now -- the car runs like a top, doesn't burn oil and my cousin (a Ford mechanic) said he can't find anything wrong with the car.

Also -- if it matters -- the car has already had the suspension re-done and lowered an inch. The gears have been re-done to 3.73's and the exhaust from the Cat's back have been re-done.

My cousin said he has over $2500 in parts alone that are still in the original boxes. I'm buying the car for $5100 and it comes with all the parts. Good deal? Oh -- no accidents, no dings, fully loaded with leather also in good shape.

So -- did I get a good deal? and what should I do about the parts? I'm not planning on taking this to the track and racing it, however, I'd be lying if I wouldn't be ready to burn rubber on the street and leave some frickin' kid in a Honda Civic in the dust at a traffic light......

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2007, 04:12 AM
aceofSpades
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New Mustang -- put on the parts or wait?

PICTURES!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 04:13 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
Old 05-13-2007, 08:54 AM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 05-13-2007, 08:58 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

sounds like a great deal from what you are describing.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:46 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

we need pics, why does everyone tell us about these beatiful cars and not give any pics? Is the interior black? i would have the bottom redone it will save time in the long run
Old 05-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Stroked91
2nd Gear Member

you can always do a compression check and see what every cylinder is at my car has a 156k on it so im in the same boat as you i was thinking of doin a check then if its all good replace the lifters and oil pump
Old 05-13-2007, 02:08 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Sell me the heads and the injectors!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:23 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Sounds like an awesome deal man. I say, while your about to redo the entire top end, get new piston/rings/bearings and you'll have yourself a brand spankin new motor that will haul *** and be reliable bor another 100K miles.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM
sakislayer

Sorry about pictures..... I'm going to pickup the car this week, so I'll get some pictures and post them for all to see.

Oh - yes, the interior is black (leather), top is black and the car itself is green or teal (I don't know which -- I'm color blind). Whatever the stock green color was for 93 on the LX.

After speaking to my cousin today (a Ford Mechanic -- and a 3 time Mustang owner) -- I think once I pickup the car we're going to pull the engine to install all the goodies the car comes with. Once we pull the old heads off we'll take a look at the bottom end. At that point we'll decide on a new lower end, or a re-build. Since he's a Ford Mechanic he can get Ford Motorsports parts fairly cheap. So, worst case scenario I buy a new bottom end from Fort Motorsports and then put on all the other parts.

I'm just trying to get the car up to 300+ hp..... I have no grand illusions of trying to beat my cousins Mustang. He's got a 2004 Cobra with a Kenne Belle (sp?) blower on it and a bunch of other stuff.I think he's up into the 500hp+ range....... His car is CRAZY fast!

Thanks for the input and I'll post pictures later this week.....

Quick Reply: New Mustang -- put on the parts or wait?