5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

dead miss, pissing coolant, and glowing cats....fun fun

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:24 PM
dragthis

Default dead miss, pissing coolant, and glowing cats....fun fun

Ok where should I begin,
I was at the track at the end of the year last year and my 88 5l started pissing coolant out of the overflow. It looked oily so I assumed it had a blown head gasket, so I parked her for the winter. Fast forward to this year, I did a compression test to see which cyl had the faulty HG and all cyls were 160-170. I did notice that the rad cap wasnt opperating properly so I changed that. When I run the car it seems to backfire or "pop" at idle on the right bank of cyl, Infrared gun confirms that no 3 and 4 are not firing, when I pull the plug off of #4 the backfiring stops, changed the plugs same thing, new cap and rotor, same thing. I pulled all of my injectors and check the flow rate and they all seemed good I swapped them around to see if the miss followed, same thing. I did notice when I took the throttle body off that the throttle body adapter to plenum gasket had been replaced with gasket maker and where coolant is supposed to go through the intake was all sooty, and there was some coolant in the intake. I pulled off the upper intake dumped the coolant and put it all back together with new gaskets. The car still does the same thing, I took it for a short run and almost caught the car on fire because the pass side cat was so hot it was glowing and was over 500 degrees celcius!! I have heard that burning coolant will kill a cat, but would a clogged cat explain the miss?? I am going to pull the cat off now. Sorry for the long post but I figured I would try to give as much detail as possible!! Thanks
Adam
Old 05-13-2007, 02:03 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: dead miss, pissing coolant, and glowing cats....fun fun

wow! do you know a good mustang mechanic. i dont know what to tell you. when you find the solution, post it!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:18 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

If your cats glowing red, its done. I would take them off and see what happens. As for pissing coolant out the overflow, the car could of just over heated from the increased combustion chamber temps. The miss is more then likely from the clogged cats, when you took the plug wires off did they have spark?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:26 PM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

usually a clogged cat will effect all cylinders of the same band equally though, but it could be the problem, maybe bad ignition module causing misfire and loading the cat w/ unburned fuel?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:49 PM
dragthis

Ok just took the cat off and its still doin the same thing except now it is freakin loud!!! I am just going to punch the cat out I think, will it do any harm just to hollow one cat?? The wires did have a good spark on those cylinders. Is there any way to check the ignition module?? Is it a common problem on stangs?? thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 05-13-2007, 03:21 PM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

there isnt much of a way to check them, but they are a common problem. its worth replacing the ignition module and stator in the distributor if theyve never been done before. even if its not the problem its good to have new stuff in there also, have you checked your timing? i doubt thats the prob but its worth a look.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:22 PM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

oh and dont bother punching out the cat, if its not clogged its not a problem, and you lose pwr w/ a punched out cat rather than a functioning one due to the exhaust flow through the now empty chamber
Old 05-13-2007, 04:30 PM
dragthis

Yeah I set my timing back to 10 degrees or so it was at 14 but there was no change at all. I will try picking up an ignition module and see if that is the problem at all. How do you prevent an air bubble from forming in the coolant flowing through the intake?? Is this a problem with these cars at all?? Thanks for the replys!
Adam
Old 05-13-2007, 06:43 PM
87ttopGT420
1st Gear Member

the glowing cats is caused from unburnt gas from the miss hows your timing chain and gears is it stock at track i assume you were racing but if you got good fuel good spark and still a miss cats are heating up from unburnt fuel it sounds like you might have jumped time or something
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2483042
Old 05-13-2007, 07:30 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dragthis

Ok where should I begin,
I was at the track at the end of the year last year and my 88 5l started pissing coolant out of the overflow. It looked oily so I assumed it had a blown head gasket, so I parked her for the winter. Fast forward to this year, I did a compression test to see which cyl had the faulty HG and all cyls were 160-170. I did notice that the rad cap wasnt opperating properly so I changed that. When I run the car it seems to backfire or "pop" at idle on the right bank of cyl, Infrared gun confirms that no 3 and 4 are not firing, when I pull the plug off of #4 the backfiring stops, changed the plugs same thing, new cap and rotor, same thing. I pulled all of my injectors and check the flow rate and they all seemed good I swapped them around to see if the miss followed, same thing. I did notice when I took the throttle body off that the throttle body adapter to plenum gasket had been replaced with gasket maker and where coolant is supposed to go through the intake was all sooty, and there was some coolant in the intake. I pulled off the upper intake dumped the coolant and put it all back together with new gaskets. The car still does the same thing, I took it for a short run and almost caught the car on fire because the pass side cat was so hot it was glowing and was over 500 degrees celcius!! I have heard that burning coolant will kill a cat, but would a clogged cat explain the miss?? I am going to pull the cat off now. Sorry for the long post but I figured I would try to give as much detail as possible!! Thanks
Adam
assumption is the mother of all fuc's

It appears one issue have created a few others.

A few probing questions for you

1. have you done a cam swap?

2.have you sprayed this motor with nitrous? if so how much?

Quick Reply: dead miss, pissing coolant, and glowing cats....fun fun