5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Big problems with my rearend....... alot of guidence needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

Default Big problems with my rearend....... alot of guidence needed.

So yesterday i stopped off at the auto store and picked up u-joints and was going to install them today to get rid of the clunking sound in my drivetrain thats slowly getting worse. i drive up onto my ramps, crawl under, and guess what... the u joints are still good, no give in them. so i start inspecting further and find that there is approx 45 degrees of play in my rear end. i crawl all the way to the back and start poking around. The ring and pinion apear to be shot, both my quads on my driver side are blown with moderetly freshoil everywhere. There is a HUGE DENT in my passenger side axle housing/ possibly bent axle housing, dent in my gas tank. the pinion bearings apear to be shot, the carrier bearings apear to be shot, both quads on my driver side are shot, my trac-lok is shot, the passenger axle housing is DENTED and possibly bent, lower control arm on the passenger side is dented and might be bent, axle seals are going.... yada, yada, yada.

So iam looking at two options, rebuilding the rear end, or starting fresh with a new one. now i dont know what rear end is in my car, as nothing apears to be factory the more i dive into this car ( Hell it has a c4 in it but still has a clutch pedal not hooked up to anything.....), but the diff cover is 10 bolt, i know that much. I will be putting a monster of a 427FI into it sometime in the future so i guess i might as well build it to race now. so my questions are as follows... 1. What size freakin rear end is in it right now? 2. What size is recomended?

iam probrably going to throw a 8.8 into it with gears, up/lw control arms, ditch the quads, new seals and bearings, springs, possibly a trac-lok, i dunno. Iam bassicly looking for advice and opinions on what i should do with my shot POS rear end.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Big problems with my rearend....... alot of guidence needed.

um... letting us know what year the car is would be a good start
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

1985 mustang gt
Old 05-14-2007, 02:07 AM
racingboy
2nd Gear Member

Uh, I say get a new one that way you know what you have in 'er. Also 8.8 rear end with 3.27 gears stock for an automatic for 85, the only question is if it wasn't origionally an auto transmission what's in there now?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:14 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

it came from the factory with a manual.... but it has a C4 sitting in it now ( want to go back to manual.). what was the stock rear end size for a 1985 GT?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:22 AM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

If it's a 8.8 pick up one from the junkyard and start from there. They are easy as hell to find
Old 05-14-2007, 02:24 AM
racingboy
2nd Gear Member

Are you keeping the C4 in there? Or are you planning on having the manual in there while you re-work the rear end?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:25 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

thats the thing.... how doi know if i have a 8.8 or a 7.5 in it right now?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:27 AM
anthros
2nd Gear Member

umm.... i want to swap out the C4 for either a t-56, a tko-600, Or stock 5 speed,and ditch the C4 alltogether. Manuals are more fun to drive.

I didnt do the swap. the previous owner Rednecked a bunch of **** together in the intrest of making it a "Drag" car, trust me i took it to the 1/4 when i first got it, he made things worse than stockinstead ofimproving them.

i think it ran a 16.1@103 with a 2.3 60ft, with 245 F1 street tires. there has to be a 3800 stall in this thing with a basicly stock engine. The windshield wiper fluid line was "relocated" into my filter box with a makeshift plastic spray nozzle, injecting windshield wiper fluid is my guess into a stock not FI 302HO, redneck methanol/water injection i guess...... there wasnt a air filter in the box when i got it, he hacked huge cutouts in the exhaust just before the mufflers. there WAS (i took it off) a cobra snake on the side of it, along with "nitrious injected" badging. A pony emblem on the rear windshield.... running the wrong way !!! iam glad i got the car off of him for free, its my project now......
Old 05-14-2007, 02:45 AM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Can't remeber off the top of my head when Ford switched to the 8.8
(hate doing this from work i'm a get fired for sure!)
but If it is a GT it should be an 8.8 if it is a 7.5 junk it and get the 8.8
don't waste the time or money on a 7.5

Quick Reply: Big problems with my rearend....... alot of guidence needed.