5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

K-Member Manufacturers and ratings

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:33 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: K-Member What Else is Needed???

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2
If you plan on running a full kit, coil overs and all, UPR is the way to go. they cost a little less than the AJE racing setup.
^ +100; $650 for the whole kit... very very light weight and well built, we are putting the UPR kit in a 89 notch this weekend. That'd be my advice...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:12 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.barn

Tubular K-members are not the best thing for the street
they save weight at the sacrafice of strength.

check out the www.maximummotorsports.com k-member
saves weight and adds strength
Just because its thinner and lighter doesnt mean its weaker! The Maximum kit is Overpriced anyhow! I dont see how it can be bad for the street. Its not like he will be doing the Baja 1000 on his way to work everyday!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:18 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

i did my research and aje and pa racing are absolutely the best as far as quality and fittment. upr would be a third choice and the king of ebay k member deals. search any mustang site and you'll find this to be true of the general concensus. you'll also find nightmare stories about d&d, qa1, and granatelli....stay away...although some have no issues with them it's a gamble. i went with pa racing and it's perfect.it bolted up perfectly, gives tons of room, very strong/light, and it didn't move the wheels anywhere in the well.the one bad thing about upr is that they use chromoly which doesn't give as much as some like on a street car. definitely do it while you engine is out! it makes it so easy
Old 05-18-2007, 03:51 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

did mine with the engine in. wasnt a big deal. As far as UPR i think they are the best (not because i own one) but for the money they are the best. As far as asking other sites.....I ask the people who sell all of them (Holcomb Motorsports) and they told me that UPR was the way to go. They sell the most of them.

As far as durability.....TWO WORDS. TIM LYNCH! the guy runs 4.30's in the 1/8th and uses UPR suspension products. Also runs mid 6's in the quarter. I think they are strong enough!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:16 PM
influence
1st Gear Member

I agree the MM looks really stout and it has everything in the kit you need.

I would avoid chromoly on the street due to the brittleness of it, on the otherhand D.O.M. .120 Wall Mild Steel is very strong. I talked to Team Z Motorsports Today for quite awhile. The K should hold up under street driving conditions. Especially with add Gussets in all the corners and tabs to ensure durability. Their kit is 699.00 with starnge coil over kit. and there new CC Plates are going to be around 150.00 which will have a Bearing in it and not a bushing (similar to AJE, PA and D & D. They make it all in house as well. The guy seemed really knowledgeable and humble.

I also found out with the 94-95 Spindles you can have the correct Ball Joint put on to match your spindle conversion. Not only is the 87-93 Taller, it is also a littel skinnier which only adds to bump steer. They do make a sleeve kit that goes over the 87-93 Ball Joint for the 94-95 Spindle....

Its still a toss up though, I have heard good and bad things about D & D, UPR, QA1, and the AJE. The PA seems to be reasonably priced and everybody has good things to say about it.

Also the Team Z Like some of the others drops the rack 1.5 to accomodate realtionship between stering rod and A arm but leaves the wheel in the exact stock position.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 PM
influence
1st Gear Member

Anyone...
Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turbostang21

i did my research and aje and pa racing are absolutely the best as far as quality and fittment. upr would be a third choice and the king of ebay k member deals. search any mustang site and you'll find this to be true of the general concensus. you'll also find nightmare stories about d&d, qa1, and granatelli....stay away...although some have no issues with them it's a gamble. i went with pa racing and it's perfect.it bolted up perfectly, gives tons of room, very strong/light, and it didn't move the wheels anywhere in the well.the one bad thing about upr is that they use chromoly which doesn't give as much as some like on a street car. definitely do it while you engine is out! it makes it so easy
Good advice. One thing I'd add is Team Z just released their K members. Having seen what Dave is capable of, I'd have to put them right up at the top with PA and AJE.

The worst one is D&D. They sell because they are cheap.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nick_thames

Just because its thinner and lighter doesnt mean its weaker! The Maximum kit is Overpriced anyhow! I dont see how it can be bad for the street. Its not like he will be doing the Baja 1000 on his way to work everyday!
you dont road race do you? they are expensive because they dont just take measurments form the stock k member then build one with tubing, they do research and completly redo the k member

personally i would go with the Griggs Racing sla, but i dont have 5 grand to dump just on the front suspension
Old 05-19-2007, 12:16 AM
influence
1st Gear Member

No RoadRacing, and 5k isnt really that much when you put what is at stake. I dont want to offset the geometry though.

I want something that is built here(USA) where I can talk to somebody that has knowledge of their part.

Its weird that alot more people have been saying that the D & D isnt all that, now...

Old 05-19-2007, 02:33 AM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: notch5oh

ORIGINAL: nick_thames

you dont road race do you? they are expensive because they dont just take measurments form the stock k member then build one with tubing, they do research and completly redo the k member

personally i would go with the Griggs Racing sla, but i dont have 5 grand to dump just on the front suspension
ahh....NO. Even if i did i wouldnt pay for it. The man asked for a Kmember. For what he is doing, i suggested the UPR kit. Its painless and easy to work with..I KNOW because i bought and installed one by myself. Some people get carried away on here. If he said, Ive got a mustang and I want to win the SCCA championship next year then fine....spend your 5k and get the griggs or maximum kit.

Heck the next guy that says, "whats the easiest way to shed some pounds on a mustang"? I think im going to tell him to order a CARBON FIBER BODY! Jeez. I'll stand by the parts that I BUY! But What do i know, Ive only driven a 6 second 1/8mile drag car!!!!

Quick Reply: K-Member Manufacturers and ratings