5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New here. A little help please? Oil pump\engine content.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Tygr1
2nd Gear Member

Default New here. A little help please? Oil pump\engine content.

Hi kids, I just aquired a project 89 LX 5.0. It needs some restoration work, I've got the time.

First thing was a broken (threads stripped) adapter piece on the distributor that came with the car. Previous owner gave me another good distributor. So, I pull out the old one, put in the new one and guess what...no oil pressure. Pulled out the dist. again and sure enough, it looks like I lost the oil pump shaft down into the oil pan...bummer.

My question is: what color were the stock engine pieces on the 89 H.O. motor? I'm talking about the water pump, timing cover, etc. as I guess I'll have to pull the cover off to retrieve the shaft and re-install it. Also, what colors were the block, heads, valve covers, etc.?

BTW, any tips or tricks I need to know re: pulling the timing cover and oil pump would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much in advance...hoping to learn alot on this forum. I'm a 51 year old FORD fanatic, and this will be the 6th Mustang I've owned in my time. Everything from a 1968 GT 350, to a 1998 SVT Cobra, but I've never had a 5.0 Litre model before.

Help appreciated!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:49 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New here. A little help please? Oil pump\engine content.

i'd suggest spending 20 bucks and getting an ARP hardened oil pump driveshaft. the stock 289/302/351w pieces are absolutely worthless
Old 05-15-2007, 12:53 AM
matts87ttop
I ♥ Acer

pretty much everything on the motor came unapinted with just the metal finish. your probably better off pulling the motor if you are taking the oil pan off its no fun doing it in the car. its alot of work either way. How many miles are on your car?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Tygr1
2nd Gear Member

Odo shows 58k, so I'd guess 158k. Not looking to rebuild motor yet, just want it to run for awhile.

I was planning on just taking the front cover off and using a magnet to get the shaft out of the pan. Advice?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:00 AM
matts87ttop
I ♥ Acer

i just rebuilt my 5.0 and the way that the dipstick sits in i cant really see how it fell out, at least the way mine was. If you are taking the front cover off i would spend the 40 or whatever it is on a timing chain, especially with that many miles. they tend to go bad alot. I think your going to have a tough time getting the dipstick out whatever way you choose. If you get a really thin magnet like the ones on a stickand are sure it is in the bottom of the pan you may be able to drain the oil and take the front drain plug off and see if you can get it out from there. Good luck
Old 05-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Tygr1
2nd Gear Member

NOT the dipstick...the oil pump drive shaft. I do have a flexible shaft with a magnet on the end.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:11 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Someone's most likely been in that engine. That's somewhat common when someone gets inside a Ford andisn't sure what the little round clip on the oil pump drive shaft is for, and that's what happens when it's left off, it comes up with the dizzy and falls back into the pan. Otherwise the clip has broken off at some point in time. If you pull the cover, yeah, you might as well replace the timing chain with a new double roller.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:16 AM
Tygr1
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I thought someone may have been in the motor as well. The head gaskets have been replaced, the water pump has been replaced and there is water in the oil. I want to get it running and change the oil twice so I can see if there is still water getting into the oil now.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:23 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Don't run it with coolant in the oil, antifreeze will eat your bearings alive
Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Tygr1
2nd Gear Member

Whoooops!

Alittle late for this advice 67..302. All I did was start it up a few times...awwww geeeez!

Quick Reply: New here. A little help please? Oil pump\engine content.