5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

No power from a 5.0!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:34 PM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: No power from a 5.0!!

i had a tfi go bad on me also, ran fine, would only backfire and cough if i stabbed the gas to fast, if i slowly floored it it was fine. i never thought of it being the module, so iswapped it w/ another bad one a buddy of mine had that would cause a rough idle but run good otherwise, and my caridled rough and i could stab the gas fine. those things do all kinds of weird stuff.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:49 PM
ant0045
2nd Gear Member

my mechanic says that it is definetly missing...the little rock in the motor at idel is bad enough to say its a miss and possibly a dead cylinder. i didnt think it was that bad when i bought..didnt realize that would be a miss since on my old dsm when it would miss u knew it. just keeping everyone posted he will be finishing up with it today hopefully tomorow. possibly new motor but we will see.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: nacanitihs

the TFI module is on ur distributor its the little grey box. i replaced mine when i got it cuz my car kept shutting off when i drove it... but if ur car still runs i dont think it would be that..
ask VigCS about that one... his car ran fine but couldnt go past 3500 without studdering and backfiring...
My car has never done that....LCBlackDeps did and it turned out to be his pickup coil in the distributor.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:26 AM
ant0045
2nd Gear Member

well spoke to previous owner...told me their mechanic said there was oil in the intake mani and tb but said they didnt know where it was coming from and gave the car back to her...yet to do a tune up today but comp test tomorow...along with starting the tune up...guess the oil in the intake would be my valve seals...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:34 AM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

oil in the intake would not be your valve seals. a little bit of oily stuff is normal, alot means the pcv is sucking up too much for some reason. either you have so much piston ring blow by that oil is being forced through the pcv, you have different valve covers or the baffles are cut out and oil is being sucked through that tube that goes to the tbody, or you just need one of those pcv oil seperator things.but i still dont really see this being your low on pwr problem unless it is actually bad blow by but you would have blue smoke from your tailpipes from burning oil
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 AM
ant0045
2nd Gear Member

i do have a little smoke when its cold or if its been sitting for a bit but thats it...girl told me pcv valve was replaced to but she didnt say how long ago that was...the mechanic couldnt have been that good if they gave her the car back bc they didnt know where it was coming from...mind you girl is a friend so she wouldnt say something about the car that wasnt tru...i dont know where to start bc the car isnt burning really any oil except for what i said before...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:46 AM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

if you haveBLUEISH smoke on startup then thats a sure sign of valve seals, but dont confuse that smoke w/ normal whitish smoke from condensation on first startup. but still, valve seals will not put oil in your intake, maybe a little bit right were the valves are in the head but thats it.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:50 AM
ant0045
2nd Gear Member

no its definetly bluish but the funny thing is it doesnt really smell like burning oil ive smelt before...
Old 05-16-2007, 03:43 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: nacanitihs

the TFI module is on ur distributor its the little grey box. i replaced mine when i got it cuz my car kept shutting off when i drove it... but if ur car still runs i dont think it would be that..
ask VigCS about that one... his car ran fine but couldnt go past 3500 without studdering and backfiring...

idk maybe it has to do with what in the module goes bad or something cuz it would start then when i started driving down the road it would start to bog down on me and then just shut off and i couldnt figure out why.. i replaced the blaster coil thinking it was that cuz i wasnt getting spark.. but then it turned out to be the TFI module.. and she ran fine after that
Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 AM
ant0045
2nd Gear Member

not that bc its not shuting off...it will throw a random CEL than the CEWL will go on wont stay on for mor than 20sec max

Quick Reply: No power from a 5.0!!