5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do I bypass my o2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:03 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How do I bypass my o2 sensors?

he was sayin it was too expensive the other route, personally i dont see where a tap, center punch, and some new bolts with washers and nuts if need be is gonna be that damn much anyway.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Disconnect them, clear ECM memory (disconnect battery for 5-8 min.), and use the car with the base tables (open loop forced all the time).....do fix it right though.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM
jasonvri
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Squirrel_Masta

My exaust is loose at the headers, bolts are too rusted to tighten and i am running very rich (fresh air getting in right before the O2 sensor).

does any one know how to bypass the O2 sensors so that it will not cause any error codes or mess with perfomance?

i have heard of just unpluging the o2 sensor and inserting a resistor from Radio Shack but i have no clue of the type or size?

can anyone help me?
As Joel said, just unplug them, and the computer will make the needed changes to keep the car running.

This is a HACK fix though. Don't hammer the throttle and fix it right SOON

jason
Old 05-16-2007, 05:16 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jasonvri

Don't hammer the throttle and fix it right SOON

jason
Stated again for effect..

He's back

Old 05-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Squirrel_Masta
1st Gear Member

Alright, alright....you talked me into it.

I spent all day today taking/cutting my old H-pipe off, cutting the studs off, and trying to drill through them. After burning up half of my drill bits and sending my wife to Lowe's to get me another that i burnned up in about 5 min., I have got three of the four studs drilled out I still need to remove my new h-pipe from my 91 (with a blown tranny)and put it on my 87.

Now i am sitting here covered in dirt and oil (yeah, i don't have a garage) just to thank you all.

Man what a great day!!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:48 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Squirrel_Masta

Now i am sitting here covered in dirt and oil (yeah, i don't have a garage) just to thatnk you all.
Congradulations.... you are now a man in the tribe...
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Squirrel_Masta
1st Gear Member

oh yeah and the car slipped off the jack as it was being lowered for the night!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 AM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

If you just unplug them your car will never go into closed loop. As a result it will run like a dog. It will be rich as hell and not make any corrections. You might as well just slap a carbeurator on it at that point. You NEED your primary O2 sensors. There are no if's, and's, or but's about it.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rcdblink716

If you just unplug them your car will never go into closed loop. As a result it will run like a dog. It will be rich as hell and not make any corrections. You might as well just slap a carbeurator on it at that point. You NEED your primary O2 sensors. There are no if's, and's, or but's about it.
I've worked on cars that have been running w/out O2's for years w/out the customers knowing (or caring) about it.....no major driveability or fuel consumption issues either....the EEC-IV does a good work around that "condition" and uses a variant of the FMEM strategy to deal with it.....btw....an "old-school" EFI trick was to simply disconnect the O2's to cancel the adaptive strategy (close loop) and force a "richer" mixture at the track + prevent the cancelation the adaptive strategy does (short/long term fuel trim values) when you increase fuel pressure to change A/F.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:19 AM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

I can't imagine not having drivability issues without o2's. When ur in open loop u might as well not have half ur sensors. Your computer just uses fuel maps to calculate pulse width. It's not the best way to determine fuel needs. I guess if you go that way, pray you don't have a vacuum leak or anything else that would cause it to run lean.

Quick Reply: How do I bypass my o2 sensors?