5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ecu compatibility with T5 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:26 AM
lx5oh

Default ecu compatibility with T5 swap?

I have a ****ty aod in my 84 LX 5.0 vert and I have been wanting to do a T5 swap ever since I got the car. the main issue (besides time and money) is that I talked to a mechanic who has done like 3 of them, and he's not sure if my ecu would handle a direct swap. I'm pretty sure my car has early EFI or maybe CFI but I'm not positive exactly what because the engine is not original and I don't know how to identify it. so the problem is if i swap and it turns out it doesn't work with the ecu, I have to either get a new ecu specific to my intake for a T5 or he suggested replacing with carbeurated (more money/time).

Does anybody know how computers handle the swap? in general, or specific for an 84 LX 5.0???
Old 05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ecu compatibility with T5 swap?

your 84 is feul injected?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:03 AM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

If you need one, I have a ecm from an '85 5-speed car I parted out a few months ago.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:21 PM
lx5oh

It's an early model of fuel injection, possibly CFI (central fuel injected) but i'm not even sure what that means in any detail.

ORIGINAL: creekrat

If you need one, I have a ecm from an '85 5-speed car I parted out a few months ago.
Thanks but I mainly want to know if i can keep mine.

has anybody done the swap on an 84 5.0 EFI, or a year close to that?? i'm not even sure how the ecu reacts to a swap in general for any year.

If it won't work I might just drop the aod and get it rebuilt or rebuild it myself.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

You should just put a carb on it and call it a day. It will save you money and you can get the same performance. Figure, like say 600 will get you a carb and manifold. 600 for a fuel injection car would get you... Manifold and throttlebody. But then say you want more power, well you're gonna need to buy new injectors and then you'll need the mass air sensor to go with it and all that stuff. Going carb would just be easier and you wouldn't have to worry about any computer compatibility problems.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:13 PM
lx5oh

hmm, i'm not sure if I have that kind of money to spend right now (extremely poor college student) for something that isn't broket...yet... I might be able to get barely enough $$ for a t5 swap by the end of summer before I go back to school. carb might be nice for a project down the road a bit (sorry for the unintentional crappy pun) but I'd like to do just the tranny now since my aod is becoming more and more of a problem as the days go by. I don't want the ecu to force me to switch to carb when I don't have the mula for it.
Also I heard that carbs have worse fuel economy than fuel injected. I know mpg is not something that should be mentioned in a mustang forum, but does carb get much worse fuel economy??
Old 05-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

I don't see the swap being a problem. Especially since the '84 AOD isn't computer controlled. I know in the 87-93 cars, the swap doesn't require any computer upgrades. I'm going to stick with my gut feeling on this one. I don't think the car would even notice.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:29 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

god damn... what ecu is it???? look on it and tell us the code on it...should be a 3digit one, thatll tell us what you have.... in most instances the comp from an AOD is fine w. a t5 but not the other way around, the only big big differance is the timing advance and curve.

how the hell do you not know if your car is cfi or multi port???... either get us a pic of under the hood, or look yourself... if its multiport, it will have the traditional 5.0 upper intake that you see on this forum all the time, an upperAND lower. if its CFI, it wil have what looks like a carb intake on it...
Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

no, not if the carb is tuned right... i want a second car, and want it to be carbed...
Old 05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
lx5oh

I think it's CFI, it doesn't look at all like the later intakes and has a big round air cleaner sitting right on top of it. I'm relatively inexperienced under the hood compared to you all, so that's why i'm not entirely sure of the differences. here's a pic... http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...22_30_full.jpg

I'll take a look at the numbers and whatnot when i get home to give you guys specifics, but right now I need to start studying for a final exam i'm taking in an hour...

Quick Reply: ecu compatibility with T5 swap?