5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gear Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:40 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

Default Gear Problems

I just want to get some input on what's going on with my "Gear Install". I have had two set's of 3.55's installed in my car.

Here's the problem, each time after the install the gears would develope a whine very shortly after being installed (200 miles or less) NO I didn't dog out the car when I got it back, I took it easy.

When I originally went in to have them installed, the owner talked me out of the 3.73's in leu of the 3.55's. He said it would be too radical of a jump, I wish i'd stuck to my guns on this one.

They even said they had several sets of used 3.55's out of brand new vehicles.The owner wanted 4.10s instead, and drove the vehicle from the dealer to his shop. They offered me a deal on them and i agreed.

I picked up my Mustang the first time and paid for the gears and the rear end rebuild and I was told they used "NEW" gears.

Well after about a week the 3.55's started to whine so I called the shop about it and they had me come back in so they could take a look, The shop manager told me they were bad and that they would replace them.

Another trip, to actually have them replaced this time. I got a call at work later in the day from the owner telling me they still had a whine and he came up with all kinds of reason why it might still be whining, from my aluminum driveshaft to the cycle of the moon.

I told him i'd give it a listen and if I didn't like it, I'd bring it back. I drove it around and at first it wasn't too loud at all, this changed. It got louder over the next few weeks.

I called them last week and explain what's going on and that I want to just skip the 3.55's and go with the 3.73's I originally asked for. The shop manager said sure come on in next Wednesday (Today).

When I get there the shop manager starts talking with the owner and explains that this is my third trip in for this problem and that I want to get the 3.55's replaced with 3.73's because they weren't working out, that and it's what I wanted to get in the first place.

Well he starts going on about how they've done a bunch of Mustangs and that they usually only have to install two set's of gears in most cases and it works out.

He then said I most likely have a warped rear end housing?? In all the years I've worked on cars I personally have never heard of someone warping a housing with a stock motor.

I'm thinking that they had several set's of 3.55's laying around from used vehicles that they've put in my car.

Now they find that they can't get them to seat in after they've already seated in on another vehicle. That and now they might actually have to spend money by installing the "NEW" set of 3.73's.

I called the manager today at 5:30, mind you I dropped the car off at 7:45 this morning, and they hadn't done anything to it, they just talked all day about how to find out if the housing was warped...[:@]

What do you guys think? Is the owner feeding me a line of crap to try and save some money?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:30 PM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Problems

Bro, i think that the housing being warped is crap!. Guys like that will always come up with a million other things be4 they point the finger at themselves. And besides, you'd really have to dog the ride for a good while be4 the housing would even begin to "warp"..B/S!. Ive heard from some people that brand new gears whine for a short time, then begin to quiet down later. What kind of gear fluid did they use?. That could be a factor if they used crappy fluid.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:43 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91LXstanger

Bro, i think that the housing being warped is crap!. Guys like that will always come up with a million other things be4 they point the finger at themselves. And besides, you'd really have to dog the ride for a good while be4 the housing would even begin to "warp"..B/S!. Ive heard from some people that brand new gears whine for a short time, then begin to quiet down later. What kind of gear fluid did they use?. That could be a factor if they used crappy fluid.
that's a good question, I really don't know for sure. Yeah I kinda figured he was layin a line of crap on me. The original 2.73's that were in there never whined a bit.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:07 AM
pipeliner
1st Gear Member

Make him change them out. Usually gears should not whine. Some do but 99 percent of them wont. Cheap gears will whine. Also make sure they are using the right fluid. Throw some redline in there. Warping a houseing on a 8.8 is not the easiest thing to do. You would have to put some extreme heat into that housing to warp it. I have broke gears and even had a Torsen t2r bomb inside that houseing with out a mark. Stick to your guns dont let him win.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:28 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pipeliner

Make him change them out. Usually gears should not whine. Some do but 99 percent of them wont. Cheap gears will whine. Also make sure they are using the right fluid. Throw some redline in there. Warping a houseing on a 8.8 is not the easiest thing to do. You would have to put some extreme heat into that housing to warp it. I have broke gears and even had a Torsen t2r bomb inside that houseing with out a mark. Stick to your guns dont let him win.
He called me today to let me know that the housing was warped( yeah right) the way he explained it to me was when he placed his alignment tool in the rear end and put the dummy bearing in and locked down the bolts, the dummy bearing slipped right out of the carrier, he said this wasn't supposed to happen.

I don't know what he's talking about for sure, but he assured me that I wouldn't have a problem with the gears going bad.

How do i go about proving him wrong?
Old 12-24-2004, 07:24 PM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

Hey, maybe they're bad bearings!. Them bearings are not the most reliable thing in the world. Maybe the bolts are f*cked, u know. Have them give u an example of other cars that had ur same ( so called) problem, with the housing warped. Usually those guys jump to the most severe problem first and pass up the smaller elements like bolts and bearing conditions and fluids. I'll bet ur problem is with something small and simple.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:02 PM
me alot fast than u
I ♥ Acer

well I would file a complaint to the BBB.. then tell the guy he has 1 day to put a set on new 3.73 or your going to call the local news station to look into his practice..
Old 12-24-2004, 08:19 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91LXstanger

Hey, maybe they're bad bearings!. Them bearings are not the most reliable thing in the world. Maybe the bolts are f*cked, u know. Have them give u an example of other cars that had ur same ( so called) problem, with the housing warped. Usually those guys jump to the most severe problem first and pass up the smaller elements like bolts and bearing conditions and fluids. I'll bet ur problem is with something small and simple.
Well, they were supposed to replace all of the bearings when they replaced the gears the first time.

They did give me some examples of cars that had warped housing, but they were chevy's, he said this was the first 8.8 that he's seen do this.

I bet your right and the problem is something small, that's why i'm going to take it somewhere else.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:20 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: me alot fast than u

well I would file a complaint to the BBB.. then tell the guy he has 1 day to put a set on new 3.73 or your going to call the local news station to look into his practice..
I may just do that, we have channel 12 on your side here in Richmond, I think I'kk give them a call.

Thanks for the info
Old 12-24-2004, 08:38 PM
me alot fast than u
I ♥ Acer

were the hell are you I'm in richmond as well..I know all about 12...who is doing the work on your car

Quick Reply: Gear Problems