5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Crankshaft play- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:51 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Crankshaft play- need advice

Well a tech doesn't always know everything he needs to... I know some guys that have worked at ford garage that i wouldn't let put gas in my car, so.... Buy anyways, If he knew what he was doing on the rockers, it doesn't take more than one tear back down to fix it... If he had to do it more than once, he may not know how to adjust roller rockers... He may be trying to adjust them like pedestal mounts... I just hope for your sake he knows what hes doing, but it doesn't sound too good thus far... But you may just have had a small incident that couldn't be helped... I'd prolly get a second opinion before i went putting money into rebuilding... Especially since it probably ran fine before the upgrade... I'm assuming it was an upgrade and not necessity
Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

The only thing that happened beforehand was a blown headgasket, but as soon as I saw the white smoke, I shut it down and coasted to a stop. I was just cruising on the freeway when it happened. It ran great for 2 days, so something was right. But I definately threw something off when I did that burn out. Thats when I changed the old clutch and everything. To describe what its doing a litle better, it makes a chattering sound whenever it is revved, along with a vibration that gets worse with higher RPM. When its in gear, it will drive, but still chatters. You can feel it in the pedals, shifter and steering wheel. Something is definately off balance and it seems to be RMP related, meaning it chatters more with RPM.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like the mains... But the chattering is your rockers hitting the valve covers or they aren't adjusted properly... Prolly the adjustment... But again, i'd have someone else that is mechanically inclined to look at it... May **** your other guy off, but if it will save you money, i'd go for it unless you have a lot of confidence in him... Just make sure your crank isn't moving up and down, just like any bearing, if it has slack, you've got a problem... Check the manual for the factory tolerances on main bearing clearance to give you an idea how much it will move up and down... But it should be so minimal that it shouldn't go up and down if most of the bearing are in decent condition... Easiest way to check is start the car and make sure it doesn't wobble cuz the belt tension should put enough pressure to make it wobble if it will...
Old 05-22-2007, 03:19 AM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kev2369

Sounds like the mains... But the chattering is your rockers hitting the valve covers or they aren't adjusted properly... Prolly the adjustment... But again, i'd have someone else that is mechanically inclined to look at it... May **** your other guy off, but if it will save you money, i'd go for it unless you have a lot of confidence in him... Just make sure your crank isn't moving up and down, just like any bearing, if it has slack, you've got a problem... Check the manual for the factory tolerances on main bearing clearance to give you an idea how much it will move up and down... But it should be so minimal that it shouldn't go up and down if most of the bearing are in decent condition... Easiest way to check is start the car and make sure it doesn't wobble cuz the belt tension should put enough pressure to make it wobble if it will...
The chattering is more like a clunking. I'm not sure, but it feels a lot stronger than what I think the rockers can do. But I will have them checked again. Its like it gets worse when it goes into gear and while its in gear. Sorry for not knowing this stuff. You've been a great help. I'm not doubting you, I'm just questioning since I have no idea about this stuff and want to cover all angles.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Its plenty stout to do some damage... Its all one system, so the power thats working those rockers come from the crank, so there enough power to tear some **** up... Something is definately wrong buts it hard to say exactly because i can't hear what the car is doing... Best bet would be to try to find out where the noise is coming from, then narrow down the possibilities... Stuff like this is why i do my own work cuz if you mess up, you can blame yourself and you don't have to have confidence in someone elses knowledge... It can cost more sometimes cuz sometimes you have to learn the hard and expensive way...
Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

get a long screwdriver and use it as a stethescope, stick your ear on the handle and move the screwdriver around till you can find where the chattering is the loudest to pinpoint were your problem is. but just a thought, make sure you dont have any bolts or pipes or hoses hitting against the firewall or frame, it will make a chatter noise and cause a hell of a vibration, ive experieced this on an f150 that had a metal hose on the engine that was barely touching a bolt that came through the firewall, made a huge vibration and noise
Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 PM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

First of all, usually when you balance a motor you balance every peace of the rotating assembly. This includes the balancer, flywhee,l pressure plate, and even sometimes the lower timing gear. This could be part of your problem. Also, you never wanna just rip a motor apart and then throw it back together. There are plenty of measurements to be taken that take a long time. One last thing, don't use plastigauge. It aint worth a ****. You're trying to measure thousands with a piece of tooth floss. I mean really. Spend the mooney and mic it up right.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:12 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

plastic gauge is good for what it is.. I have seen people mic cranks and rods etc. and seen them out of rod and didn't show up where it was measure at but did show up on the plastic gauge... I do both......free wheeling engine is hard on them....I bet the thrush bearing is gone
Old 05-22-2007, 04:20 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

its called a thrust bearing 2kwik
Old 05-22-2007, 04:23 PM
sick95gt
2nd Gear Member

well, the shop called me and I'm pretty sure they dont have a clue. They say the crank play is not off by much and that the engine needs rebuilt since something inside is out of balance or broken. They said it would cost $3500 or more to have them rebuild it and balance it all. Now, they are just trying to cover all areas by redoing it all. I'm gonna take my car back and go elsewhere. My problem is that I dont have the tools or knowledge to do it myself, so I'm stuck with having to have other people do it.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft play- need advice