5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

?efi or carb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:27 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ?efi or carb?

I am not saying carb cause I have a carbed stang, I am saying it because you get good throttle response, and more hp. EFI was made for gas milage and better emitions. My neighbor bought an 86 camaro 305V8 and it had fuel injection and after he passed it through emitions he ripped it all off and threw a 4brrl on it and not only did it run stronger, it wayy better throttle response. When ever you are watch 10.5 outlaw drag racing, what are the guys running...... carb. Very few people have fuel injection unless they are running turbo/s. I am sure we could go on and on and on about how carb is ALOT better.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Ryan5.0
2nd Gear Member

Every time I hear this debate, I wonder why noone brings up the effects of cylinder wash from cold starts with a carb. Fuel Injection ( more precise air fuel mixture especially at start up) is a major reason why engines (302 for example) last for several hundred thousand miles nowadays and years ago with carbs were only good for about 100,000 miles. Alot of times an EFI 5.0 with high miles will have virtually no ridge in the cylinder. Try that with the same motor, same mileage except run the entire time with a carb and you will notice a distinct ridge on the cylinder walls due to the accelerated wear associated with cylinder wash from the excess gas dumped into the engine during cold starts with the choke.

I completely agree that more power can be made with much less headaches with carbs over EFI, but I prefer the driveability and longevity the EFI provides.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:59 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

I have no problem starting my stang with a cold start. I give it 2 pumps of gas and turn the key and it fires right up. Look carb is alot cheaper then efi, they are alot easier to work on and tune. fuel injection runs off a bunch of sensors and has late throttle response cause the system has to check everything is OK before it gives it throttle, a carb..... you hit the gas and you go. who cares if the engine wont last as long, it just gives us something to do when it goes(thats why when we do stuff like this we have back-up cars[8D]). The facts set it straight, carb is better then EFI. done
Old 05-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

No one is doubting one particular Mustang with a carb will not start or will have poor starting in cold weather.
On the average, a EFI car will start more reliably than a carbed car.

I also agree with an EFI engine will last longer due to no flooding and gas washing.

4 out of 6 of my vehicles are carbed so I"m not bashing carbs but EFI advantages out weigh carb. It just comes with a higher price and harder to diagnois problems. Thankfully problems are not common.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:20 PM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

+ 1 for efi.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:55 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I run a carb(obviously) and when I took my engine apart after about 70-80k miles(the builder that I had build it previously made some errors) I had no ring ridge that I could feel with my fingernail, so accelerated wear from carb isn't THAT bad if you set the choke up properly(which many people don't). But yes, for those who don't understand this, carb'd cars deliver more fuel(especially at startup with the choke) and it washes the oil off the cylinder walls and causes increased ring wear. Even with a properly setup carb that will limit ring wear, EFI will still have reduced cylinder wear when compared to a carb. Again, each has advantages and disadvantages. Engine longevity is better with EFI than with carb. As to which one is better, it depends on what your criterion is for "better." You can't just pick 1 or 2 bad points on one system and say that because of that it sucks and the other is better. Carb makes more power and is simpler, but has less longevity and can be much crankier when weather changes, especially when it gets cold. EFI can allow an engine to last longer and gets better mileage, but costs more and is more complicated which can lead to less reliability in certain cases, and requires more long term maintence than carb(changing sensors etc when they fail). Each one has good points and bad, but again, to just pick 1 or 2 bad points of 1 system and say that it sucks because of that over the other is totally foolish and 1 sided. Would you stick an EFI system on a particular race car because of longevity when you're just gonna tear it down in 1,000 miles? No, neither would you put a carb on a car that's intended for low emissions and high mileage that needs to maintain those for 300k miles or more. The whole carb vs. EFI debate is totally stupid because it really is comparing apples to oranges