5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

radiator fan options

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:18 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

Default radiator fan options

i wish i had enough money to buy every fan product out there and test it but i don't. what i am looking for is something to replace my stock coolling fan. i just got the car and noticed the fan looks all cracked and its days are probably numbered. what is a good replacement one. should i go electric or is that to much aggravation. does the fan really slow the motor down at all. any input is appreciated...

secondly i am looking for a good repair manual and only found the haynes one that didn't look that good. was pretty much all about the motor and not the rest of the car. does any other company make those repair manuals.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:21 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: radiator fan options

a chilton has EVERYTHING!! i bought one and you cant go wrong. tons of pictures and it explains very very very well how to do almost anything.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Well depending on how much money you want to spend will decide your fan choice. I personally have the Flex-A-Lite Black Majik Extreme fan and couldn't be happier. It was a super easy and clean fit. Goes on and off automatically, key on or off. Even though I have underdrive pulleys on my car, Ihave yet to have my battery be too dead to need a jump.

There's also another style of Black Majik, it doesn't push as much air as the Extreme one does, but then again its also cheaper.

Most everyone on here will tell you to go to a junkyard and get a tauras electric fan since doing that costs like under 50 bucks.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 PM
hardcore91LX
2nd Gear Member

Like scout said you could do like myself and many on here have done and get a tauras fan at a junk yard. I did mine for 35 bucksif i remember right, the fan was 15 and then a got a comtroller from auto zone to control it for a couple bucks.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:13 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

how much is this black magic unit? also what year taurus fan am i looking for. does the taurus fan mount up nicely or does it look all hack? anybody got a picture of one installed
Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scout2232

Well depending on how much money you want to spend will decide your fan choice. I personally have the Flex-A-Lite Black Majik Extreme fan and couldn't be happier. It was a super easy and clean fit. Goes on and off automatically, key on or off. Even though I have underdrive pulleys on my car, Ihave yet to have my battery be too dead to need a jump.

There's also another style of Black Majik, it doesn't push as much air as the Extreme one does, but then again its also cheaper.

Most everyone on here will tell you to go to a junkyard and get a tauras electric fan since doing that costs like under 50 bucks.
How much do the fans cost, and where can you purchase them?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM
hardcore91LX
2nd Gear Member

as long as you take your time on the install it actually looks very factory. If i remeber correctly you need on off of one of the older taurus, hopefully someone else will chime in and second that.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Extreme:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Regular:

There's also Proform brand. It looks exactly like the regular black magic fan, but costs less. I have no experience with it.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:23 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

wow that extreme one is pricey... you are right about those other two looking the same. i think i might order that lookalike proform one. all of the vital stats are exactly the same so why not save 100 bucks.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scout2232

Regular:

There's also Proform brand. It looks exactly like the regular black magic fan, but costs less. I have no experience with it.
Yeah, those 2 look identical. I wonder if its just an offbrand of flex-a-lite.

Quick Reply: radiator fan options