5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ANYONE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH 331 LUBRICATION

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 PM
88 notch
1st Gear Member

Default ANYONE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH 331 LUBRICATION

I have a DSS 331 pro bullet short block, it has about five hundred miles on it, and I developed a piston slap for about the first minute of firing it up! Sounds only like one piston. I have a high volume oil pump but running the stock pan. I heard this is bad and I also heard that it is ok. I took the motor out and inspected the cylinders, all eight cylinders have score marks (you can't feel them just see them) perpendicular to the wrist pin on the top side and on the bottom side. I was told possibly not enough lubrication, so I pulled a main cap and rod cap off and checked the bearings thinking if the cylinders were scored from no oil that the bearings must be fried. Well to my surprise the bearings were fine and even crank end play was fine! My question is should I run it and just let it slap a little bit and put a stock volume pump back in or what should I do? Of course the warranty is up!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ANYONE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH 331 LUBRICATION

ORIGINAL: 88 notch

I have a DSS 331 pro bullet short block, it has about five hundred miles on it, and I developed a piston slap for about the first minute of firing it up! Sounds only like one piston. I have a high volume oil pump but running the stock pan. I heard this is bad and I also heard that it is ok. I took the motor out and inspected the cylinders, all eight cylinders have score marks (you can't feel them just see them) perpendicular to the wrist pin on the top side and on the bottom side. I was told possibly not enough lubrication, so I pulled a main cap and rod cap off and checked the bearings thinking if the cylinders were scored from no oil that the bearings must be fried. Well to my surprise the bearings were fine and even crank end play was fine! My question is should I run it and just let it slap a little bit and put a stock volume pump back in or what should I do? Of course the warranty is up!
thats problem number one

a high volume pump in a stock pan at idle is fine. the only time you have to worry is under wot when the pump is spinning at its fastest.

me and my budy built my 331 and it runs great. no oiling issues.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i hear alot of crap about DSS. what kinda warranty did they offer if you only have 500 miles on it and its messed up?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:53 PM
duslep
3rd Gear Member

Ive also heard of problems with DSS.[:@]
Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 AM
88 notch
1st Gear Member

they gave me six months, I called them within the warranty and told them that it had piston slap, "The Owner of DSS" told me that it was "impossible" because everything is CNC cut. time went on and didn't drive it due to newborn baby, and finally got the motor out and tore apart. I called them back today and they told me that they would look it over, "if" it was their fault they wouldn't warranty it because it was out of warranty. They would give me a break on parts and labor though. Well it is 350 to ship to them and the same to ship back to me. So now you know my predicament. So I'm thinking of putting it back together and running it. Would anybody else run just a stock volume pump up to 6500 rpm's?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

DSS recommends that you disassemble, recheck the balance, and recheck all tolerances before starting the motor.... they literally just throw them together.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:04 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

whats the point in buying a crate motor (with a warranty) if they expect you to rebuild it yourself? honestly, that is the worst policy i have EVER heard.

EVER
Old 05-31-2007, 01:36 AM
88 notch
1st Gear Member

I have never heard such a thing either, if they say to do that, why don't they just send you a junkyard crate motor? Should I just use a standard volume oil pump?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 AM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

Piston slap is normal in a forged piston motor. It's not because of lubrication. When you run a forged piston in a motor you have to run a bigger piston to wall clearance because a forged piston expands as it heats up. It should slap when cold if you have forged pistons.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

actually they have gotten better with the metalurgy and along with skirt coatings and such available no longer do you have to have a sloppy motor. that being said, my 302 with its huge .440 dome trw forged slugs was on the loose side of things and i never heard a slap.

Quick Reply: ANYONE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH 331 LUBRICATION