5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Coolant Overflow

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:08 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

Default Coolant Overflow

After flushing the radiator she was running cold as ice about 140F. But after I womp on it and get RPMs up in about 4500-5000 it's starts getting really hot. I checked the rad and its always low on coolant after I drive hard. All the coolant is going back into the overflow tank, like almost ALL of it. Then it runs hot (260ish) til I fill the rad back up. Replaced bottom hose when I did the flush as well as the rad cap. Any ideas.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:12 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Coolant Overflow

Are both radhoses getting hot? Feel the air coming across the rad when it's running hot. If the air is cool/cold, possibly an air pocket. What's the condition of the radiator cap? If it's weak, it can let the coolant flow back into the reservoir when it shouldn't.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:17 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Are both radhoses getting hot? Feel the air coming across the rad when it's running hot. If the air is cool/cold, possibly an air pocket. What's the condition of the radiator cap? If it's weak, it can let the coolant flow back into the reservoir when it shouldn't.
I will check hoses. Just replaced the lower one. The rad cap is brand spanking new. I know the whole bitch is pretty hot to the touch. To drive it afterwards I have to fill the rad back up and thus in turn when it gets hot it fills that coolant bottle to the top and that **** splashes out.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:21 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Did you get the correct # cap.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:26 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

Yes I know it was the correct one for my rad. The rad cap was actually replaced several days after the actual flush. And I did not see any difference with the new cap. I don't think the cap is the prob.

I was thinking maybe should pressure test it?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:20 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Your head gasket is blown between your water jacket and the cylinder. When the piston comes up, the compression is forced into the coolant system and as the pressure builds, it goes higher than what the cap is rated at and thenthe coolantstarts to pump out of the radiator into the overflow. Only when you shut off the motor will coolant leak into the cylinder (because the pressure in the radiator is now higher than in the cylinder)and lay there until you start the motor and you will see some white smoke come out the tail pipe and then it will go away. And the whole process will start all over again.An old cap or a blown head gasket are the only things that will cause coolant to flow into the overflow... and since you said the cap is new... the gasket has to be shot.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:34 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

Your head gasket is blown between your water jacket and the cylinder. When the piston comes up, the compression is forced into the coolant system and as the pressure builds, it goes higher than what the cap is rated at and thenthe coolantstarts to pump out of the radiator into the overflow. Only when you shut off the motor will coolant leak into the cylinder (because the pressure in the radiator is now higher than in the cylinder)and lay there until you start the motor and you will see some white smoke come out the tail pipe and then it will go away. And the whole process will start all over again.An old cap or a blown head gasket are the only things that will cause coolant to flow into the overflow... and since you said the cap is new... the gasket has to be shot.
I have never seen white smoke out my exhaust, but is there anything I can do to find out if this is the case, short of pulling the engine out and checking the gasket itself? And if it is the case a new head gasket would solve the problem? I hope that ain't the case, that'll be a pain.

So if what your saying is correct, if I pressure test the radiator there will be more pressure in the rad then in the cylinder so I should see a steady drop in pressure of the rad, correct?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

I thought coolant is supposed to flow into the overflow container as the engine heats up...and then back into the radiator as it cools down--hence the hot and cold fill marks on the overflow tank. Is this not correct?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

sounds like an air pocket to me and yes twisted thats right
Old 06-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

sounds like an air pocket to me and yes twisted thats right
Thanks, 93. Thought I'd missed something.

Quick Reply: Coolant Overflow